Pack behaving well. DHBC, Bouquets instead of brickbats

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Stuart

Postby Stuart » 02 May 2010, 20:36

From the Transitions Triathlon forum. Hats off to Geoff and the other DHBC riders - but which Geoff?

Pack behaving well. DHBC, Bouquets instead of brickbats

Julio

Postby Julio » 02 May 2010, 21:51

I think it was marians geoff. Brats and some other cycle groups have gotten a pasting from that site of late so it is good that we have shown them that OUR cycle club knows what it means to have a safe riding pack.

PeterOS

Postby PeterOS » 03 May 2010, 13:13

No wrong Geoff ! it was our el presidentaa

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 03 May 2010, 14:06

Glad to know that our focus on bunch safety and basic courtesy is paying off in the wider community.

micklan

Postby micklan » 03 May 2010, 19:22

Thats just a great report - Legend Geoff; hats off :)
Last edited by micklan on 04 May 2010, 06:37, edited 2 times in total.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 03 May 2010, 21:35

Oh my goodness,....just reading all the posts....wow...what a nice endorsement by Peter from Sutherland and some others.

Just goes to show, that whatever we, or any club does, we are always on show, and others, whether cyclists or cars, will judge us on what they see.

Last Sunday we had one of the best rolling pace lines I can remember for some time. It wasn't exceptionally fast, but everyone tried technique and it was very very smooth for almost the whole way back - and hence, quite fast, because it didn't surge, break up, slow, surge etc which is what often can happen when people put too much strength in.

I had a chat with Peter, who had joined the back of use about 5kms before Waterfall, made sure he was licenced, and then introduced him into the rolling paceline going back. We then passed two RBCC riders who politely sat off the back of us for several kms and then I invited them in.

All in all it was a great ride, and everyone focused on technique coming back. Nice ride and geeze we all looked good in red. Great calling and communication - I was getting a bit concerned that Middies have stopped talking and communicating, but this wasn't the case on Sunday.

Its too dangerous for clubs to tag onto the back of each other - groups are too big and unweildy, and we don't know the skill set of the other bunch and visa versa. But its generally agreed clubs don't mind the odd one, two or three dropped riders (licenced) to join in with them if the same skill set (otherwise they should sit on the back only).

I generally ask another club if they don't mind me tagging on. I've never been declined yet, and I would like to point out Sydney Cycling Club for going out of their way to be welcoming.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 03 May 2010, 21:46

Sometimes the paceline back can pick up one or two very experienced riders from other clubs, and I've learnt a thing or two on those occasions.

williamd

Postby williamd » 04 May 2010, 00:14

Weiyun

What things did you learn on those occasions.

I don't learn miuch because I get spat out the back
I need the wind behind me.

Return to “Road”