Audax Mudgee Ride 17/04/10 - Report

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Stuart

Postby Stuart » 18 Apr 2010, 17:42

Well, we went out to Mudgee for the Audax ride this weekend. Some 18 DHBC riders came along for the ride, doing the 110k, 150k or 200k options.

Friday saw Lindsay, Miguel and Camilla catch the 6:30am train to Lithgow and ride the 125k's out to Mudgee. The sensible people drove. Most stayed at the pub, while some opted for the caravan park. Jo & I, being old and over shared bathrooms, rented a house - very much recommended for next year.

Saturday dawned warm and sunny with the 7:00 start being a luxury. We rode out to the start point and then off into the morning, the bunches naturally forming around speed and distance. Camilla got run off the road a couple of times - once by a women with chain trouble and then by Ted who wanted to stretch his neck which included moving rapidly sideways.

Gulgong saw the back markers stop at the "Gobble and Go", which promised much but delivered little. On to Ulan and into the head wind with Camilla, Ted, Eleri, Warren & I taking turns on the front (we made Camilla do double turns 'cause she's the strongest rider!). We stopped for some beers - Geoff, Marian & Amy were already there but soon left with Amy hurting from her mid week, child induced crash. Other riders appeared amazed that we would be drinking at 10:00am.

We were joined by Pete the Snake Charmer at Ulan. Camilla & he drove the peleton relentlessly up the hills, then down the hills until a stop was demanded - unfortunately no beers were available. Back in Gulgong for a second time at the 80k mark we supped at the Butchers Cafe (fab coffee and great food). Onward to Mudgee, the pace a little slowed, we were joined by Geoff & Marian and the Snake Charmer had picked up his assistant, Michele, for the ride home. Fortunately, this section had some cows so all was well in the peleton, but we still forced Camilla onto the front to do the pace slowing. Wazza was "hurting all over" but broke the 100k barrier like a pro .....

At the turn where the 150k riders separated from the "we want to go home now cause it hurts" group, Geoff, Marion, Warren & yours truly returned to Mudgee. The back markers group was bolstered by Joanne, Michele 2 and Mark H. They got lost. Did 165k's.

Meanwhile, I went home to house, had beers, had shower, had sleep - 117k's total at 25 avg. Happy with that. You beauty. Great weekend all round and will be back next year.

Dinner on Sat night at the brewery was OK, but not going to get in the Good Food Guide. Miguel, Mark L and Adrian did 200 k's. Miguel rode back to Lithgow on Sun, making his weekend 125 + 200 + 125 - chapeau my man. Here's some photo's.

Here's the link to all the pics I took (well, almost)

Friday night carbo loading on the pub veranda - Geoff & Marian

The pub and riders about to head off

The DHBC team but where's Susie?

Gobble & Go with Ted, Camilla & Warren

Ulan Pub

Driving the peleton - Pete and Camilla

Post lunch bum shot as the back markers drove onwards

Mark H at dinner - 2nd bottle of bubbles baby

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 18 Apr 2010, 18:59

A good day's riding and good company over the weekend. Thanks everyone!
The back markers group was bolstered by Joanne, Michele 2 and Mark H. They got lost. Did 165k's.
Technically, we didn't get lost. Rather we collectively decided to take a turn contrary to the instructions. That meant we went up an unecessary and very annoying hill. People swore but passionfruit fruit leathers helped calm things down.

There was only one point where I thought we might have been in the wrong place and that's when Camilla and I went past Mystic Valley winery (or something like that) when we should have been retracing our route earlier in the day. Both of us decided, wrongly as it turned out, that we had NEVER passed that before because it was such a crap name we would have remembered it. It is up for sale if anyone wants a winery with a crap name.

I really thought Peter had picked up a troublesome snake - but to my shame, rather than help him, I sped off in case it bit me.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 18 Apr 2010, 20:55

The back markers group was bolstered by Joanne, Michele 2 and Mark H. They got lost. Did 165k's.
Mark H, Michelle P and myself had a hard first 100km as we tried to keep up (and in some cases were dragged by) some very strong vets. We figured we had done our training for the day so it was time to relax and join the rest of the DHBC crew for the last 50km - those being, Ted, Camilla and Elerie. All of us proved to be geographically challenged even though I had the GPS (but couldnt figure out how to work it). We all had our little moan about the last 30km, but a lot more laughs. I was very impressed with Ted's 150km - I am guessing he has had some secret training. I think I complained more than he did. It was also great to see Pete and Michelle make the trip, and we have high hopes for Michelle to do the 100km next year.

The man of the match for me still goes to Lindsay. Although Mark L , Adrien and Miguel did the most kilometres - Lindsay as usual is just a work horse. Doing 100km on a tandem, with no-one to draft - is no easy task...and just for fun, throw in the 120km ride to Lithgow too..but still enjoying all the available beer stops. That is the way to ride.

THanks to those who organized accommodation, restaurants, audax bookings etc. See you all again next year.
Last edited by Trouty on 18 Apr 2010, 21:30, edited 2 times in total.

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 18 Apr 2010, 21:14

Elirie (spelling?)
Elerie
Trouty was close, Start failed abysmally.

The correct spelling is Eleri. But then again, I have practice, I used to work with a woman with the same name, so I assume that the Eleri in the club is also Welsh.

Sounds like a good ride, I probably should look at doing some Audux for a challenge at some point.

James

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 18 Apr 2010, 21:22

Trouty was close, Start failed abysmally.

The correct spelling is Eleri. But then again, I have practice, I used to work with a woman with the same name, so I assume that the Eleri in the club is also Welsh.

Sounds like a good ride, I probably should look at doing some Audux for a challenge at some point.

James
Oops Sorry Eleri.

Adrian has completed his 300km, now is aiming for Audax 600km so he can qualify for the Paris Breast Paris......I am sure that is not how you spell Breast - but I am sure you can correct me James. It is a ride I can see you doing.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 18 Apr 2010, 22:08

Thanks for the correction James! The welsh do a good line in unspellable and unpronounceable names. I blame my parents :)

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 19 Apr 2010, 07:04

Thanks for the correction James! The welsh do a good line in unspellable and unpronounceable names. I blame my parents :)
Try the Irish, you can tell they are a nation of drinkers with some of the ways that they spell their names.

Oh, and Trouty, it's Brest, but it is often easier to just refer to it as PBP.

James

Return to “Road”