Johnny Warren Ride on Sudnay

Road cycling & upcoming rides
AntonyGreen

Postby AntonyGreen » 01 Jan 2010, 19:13

Is any one else doing the Johnny Warren ride on Sunday and interested in riding from Marrickville?

AnthonyI

Postby AnthonyI » 02 Jan 2010, 11:25

Hi Antony,

Yes, I'm doing this ride and thinking of riding out from Marrickville too.

I wonder if we can make it to loftus at 7:30 if we leave with the slowies. If notmaybe 6am

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 02 Jan 2010, 11:33

In past years, our Waterfall bunch has always ridden past the gathering Johnny Warren rider at Loftus but suspect you'll need to be a bit earlier to complete registration and other matters. Otherwise the Fasties RNP is supposed to be on this Sun at 6am. Suck their wheels. ;)

Miguel

Postby Miguel » 02 Jan 2010, 11:33

As we talk today at CP we will be leaving from Marrickville at 6:00am, this way we will be at the starting point before 7:30. So who is doing the ride back with me? (all the way or a least some)

timyone

Postby timyone » 02 Jan 2010, 12:08

i would have been in for a ride down there and back, but we have racing :(

Julio

Postby Julio » 03 Jan 2010, 13:10

NOT the best day for a ride as it rained and rained and rained all the way from waterfall down throught the RNP to stanwell tops...after that I couldn't see a bloody thing due to the rain and mist so myself, anthony and miguel decided to catch the train back from Thirroul.

Peter T

Postby Peter T » 04 Jan 2010, 18:31

Yes, there was a lot of rain. And wind. But it was an amazing day’s ride through many beautiful areas, ending up 128 km from Mick Mazza’s 6am start.
A small group of us set off for the 7.30 Loftus start. Mike Tomalaris was giving a Welcome speech over the sound system, so we pranced around in front of him in our New Jerseys until he mentioned our venerable club. Mission accomplished.
Off to play with a pretty big group at good speed.
Met up with Lindsay and the Cruisers at the Waterfall ramp and we were still dry and hoping for a comfortable run through RNP.
But it came down and soon my shoes were full of water and there were flats everywhere.
Headwinds and hills meant a lot of out of the saddle work, accompanied by strange squeaking noises. I looked around and couldn’t see Miguel anywhere. So what was making the noise?
Shoes and manky socks full of water and grit!

The motorcycle marshals were great and kept the minimal traffic aware of us. These guys all seemed to know Lindsay and were asking after him throughout the day.

There were corner marshals at ALL the critical turn offs on this wet day.

Andre, Declan and I came upon a little takeaway somewhere with Miguel out the front offering up a cup of coffee. It was just so ridiculously wet that I couldn’t stop and be sure I would continue. Thanks Miguel anyway.

Onwards into the gloom, but the headwind had eased and we were on more rural roads, and then it finally stopped raining. Jamberoo pub 30 kilometres.

Country road, tired cyclists, green fields and cattle, no traffic. Up ahead a rider was having a mechanical, so I stopped to see if I could help. He said not to worry, he had called his wife at Jamberoo about 20 k up ahead to get a lift in to the pub.
As he was saying all this, he made the mistake of the day.

Tired rider leans battered bicycle on electric fence.

For those of you wondering, the sound he made was very similar to the squeak of cycling shoes full of water and road grit going up a steep hill.

At 110km out I was going into survival mode and even ate a Cadel Evans bar that has been in my seat bag for years. It was great.

Coming over the last hill, it was wonderful to see the Jamberoo pub. Very welcoming and the Warren family put on a good spread for all of us.

The Johnny Warren is a highly recommended ride to all in the club. Thanks to Declan for the bidon top up and to Andre for the company at the end.

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 04 Jan 2010, 19:16

That's some race report Peter!

Excellent work on the prancing, and for making it the whole way. After reading that I can almost taste the Cadel bar myself, and wish I couldn't. Did you have to whack the unfortunate guy away from his bike with a wooden fence post?

I must say I'm glad to have made the (at the time) painful decision to go to Dunc Grey instead, where we were peacefully unaware of the weather.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 04 Jan 2010, 20:06

Yep - that race report is hilarious!! Not pleasant about the Manky socks though!!

AntonyGreen

Postby AntonyGreen » 04 Jan 2010, 21:59

Yes, Peter summed it up well. Very light drizzle until we started the climb up to Otford when the skies opened. Everyone was being very cautious on the brakes going down to Stanwell Park. Glad Julio and Miguel took my advice and didn't trying to go up Bulli Pass.

The end of the rain at Wollongong plus some strategic choclate bars from a Caltex in Warrawong kept me going till about 5km from Jamberoo. How come no matter how far you ride, your body always knows when you are about 5km from finishing and more.

At the end, a devoured a couple of sausage sandwiches I would never normally touched. The things you eat at the end of a ride. At that point I was back to normal.

From there I did an extra 15km back to Kiama to visit the folks making it 150 for the day. The shower was bliss, as was the hour long sleep I subsided into in mid afternoon. I caught the train back in the evening.

My socks are currently in soak. Amazing how black the get in wet weather.

timyone

Postby timyone » 05 Jan 2010, 11:50

Im a little disapointed that anthony let the rain get in the way of him returning by bike :( his gears on the other hand are a good excuse :P

AntonyGreen

Postby AntonyGreen » 05 Jan 2010, 15:01

Here is the picture from the start at Sutherland, before we all got soaked.

Return to “Road”