Heffron 14-11-09 Race Report

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Terry

Postby Terry » 14 Nov 2009, 17:50

I've not written a race report before but here goes.

I appeared to be the only DHBC rider there today (at least the only one in a club jersey)
I rode in D grade for my third attempt at a finish with the bunch and in that at least I had some success.
We started off with about 8 riders which soon became 5 (one each from RBCC, Easts, Waratah Vets, DHBC and an unknown)with the work being fairly well shared by all but one rider from an unknown club.
The wind was very strong coming over the pimples which slowed the bunch considerably on each lap. With two laps to go the vets rider tried too break away over the pimples but was shut down fairly quickly to bring us to the final sprint finish in which I came 5th. There was a bit of confusion amongst the two riders I spoke to about whom had won the randwick rider said it was an Easts victory and he came 3rd but the Easts rider said it was the unknown who won and he had come 3rd .

I didn't stick around for the presentations so i don't know the final result.
I'm pretty pleased with my result finally finishing with the bunch and for me after a day at work that is not a bad effort for a 3rd race.

fixedgear

Postby fixedgear » 15 Nov 2009, 11:39

Good report Terry, I was the 'unknown rider' who won the race.

I counted 10 starters on the line, and as you said, this soon reduced to 6, then 5 riders. After my crash last week I was a bit tentive with a 'new old stock' rear tyre which needed the coating from the mold scrubbed off before the handling settled down. Like yourself, my ambition was to finish with the bunch (actually, my first ambition was to stay upright this week :wink: ), so I was not unhappy about the slower pace. Coming into the finishing straight at 4th wheel, the leaders jumped and went left, I jumped and went right, which turned out to be the correct move as I was able to edge the other riders for the win.

Average pace was only 31.6 kph.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 15 Nov 2009, 16:31

I'm pretty pleased with my result finally finishing with the bunch and for me after a day at work that is not a bad effort for a 3rd race.
Hey Terry, I think I have ridden Heffron 4 times (twice in E and twice in D) and still not finished with the bunch, so from my perspective your's is a huge effort - congratulations. Especially since fixed gear said the average pace was "only 31.6km" - well done.

Return to “Road”