Ride to Waterfall Sunday 1st 6.15

Road cycling & upcoming rides
geoff m

Postby geoff m » 31 Oct 2009, 09:54

Every year I've ridden to Waterfall and back leaving early and traffic isn't too bad alongside the Gong riders.

Anyone interested, I'm leaving Mick Mazza's at 6.15am sharp.

Anyone definitely coming, pls make a note below.

Coming back from Waterfall its the usual ride and traffic.

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 31 Oct 2009, 12:37

Don't forget the Gong Ride starts at 6:00am this year.

James

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 31 Oct 2009, 12:40

Correct. So to beat the rush, 5:45 departure is probably more desirable. But that'll be riding during the darker hours. :cry:

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 01 Nov 2009, 16:19

Every year I've ridden to Waterfall and back leaving early and traffic isn't too bad alongside the Gong riders.
How was the ride to Waterfall Geoff? I must say there were a lot of people on the road by 6 - 6.15am, but I think the return ride to Waterfall would have been free and clear. I guess there was only 1 DHBC Group going?

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 01 Nov 2009, 17:22

I did a solo ride to Sutherland and return. Had to be home early so couldn't join the official DHBC bunch.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 01 Nov 2009, 21:16

How was the ride to Waterfall Geoff? I must say there were a lot of people on the road by 6 - 6.15am, but I think the return ride to Waterfall would have been free and clear. I guess there was only 1 DHBC Group going?
It was pretty good.

I turned up at 6.15 after coming out of RPA at 2.30am after my son severely sprained his ankle and had two xrays. Lucky for me, Therese was there and I had a 2 hour nap in the car.

Only person there was a new guy John, who moved from UK to Melbourne, then recently to Erskineville, and is a member of Brunswick Club.

Road was a bit busy at times, and we picked up Chris 'Boris' Astana on the way, then young Julian out at Loftus (well truth be, he caught us) but once we got to Loftus, the extra lane gave us a chance for all four of us to power past the riders. Managed to get to Waterfall averaging 27kms per hour.

Coming back it was Julian, John and myself. We actually did some paceline work. Then at the Servo, we joined on the back of 10 or so riders with Randwick and other odds and sods, including Richard Laing who recently won Goulbourn to Sydney.

Then John and I were the only riders back at Marrickville Road Cafe.

So, I'm glad I got out of bed.

JonB

Postby JonB » 03 Nov 2009, 21:36

Hi Geoff,

Yep, a good first ride of Sydney. Thanks again. See you next Sunday.

Cheers,

Jon.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 03 Nov 2009, 21:41

Yep, a good first ride of Sydney. Thanks again. See you next Sunday.
This Sun is the monthly 'Slowies RNP' ride, starting at 5:45. Weather may be an issue on the day.

JonB

Postby JonB » 04 Nov 2009, 06:19

How far and how fast?

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 04 Nov 2009, 06:44

It's "Slowies RNP" for a reason, although we put it up as an upgrade ride for people who are already comfortable with regular Slowies pace to Waterfall and is ready for or already are with the Middies. So if you struggle badly going up to Waterfall, then it's probably not a good idea. If you find can keep up with GeoffM at his pace to Waterfall, then you'll be fine. Otherwise it's a no drop ride and we regroup at preset intervals.

The full course for this Sun is around 95km from Marrickville and there are 3 significant climbs (Sydney standard) within the park.

http://dhbc.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1055

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 04 Nov 2009, 07:46

It's "Slowies RNP" for a reason, although we put it up as an upgrade ride for people who are already comfortable with regular Slowies pace to Waterfall and is ready for or already are with the Middies.
It really should be called Middies Waterfall (and I'm going to re-name it on the homepage) as the pace is way hotter than a standard Sun cruisers ride pace. It's only slowies RNP when compared to the fast RNP rides. As Weiyun says, you need to be able to ride at Sun middies pace to do the ride.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 04 Nov 2009, 08:07

It really should be called Middies Waterfall (and I'm going to re-name it on the homepage).
Please do not rename without the agreement of the hosts of this ride!

You are absolutely correct, "slow" is in reference to "fasties RNP" led by JamesC. At the end of the day, RNP is no territory for a beginner rider and by default a challenge for any group and a training ride. Further, the term "slow" is no longer in association with any of the Sun ride bunches since the use of the "cruisers" label.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 05 Nov 2009, 11:30

This Sun is the monthly 'Slowies RNP' ride, starting at 5:45. Weather may be an issue on the day.
Jon. Good to hear from you.

Based on our ride, and the fact that your have ridden with clubs before and are a member of CA through Brunswick Club, I think you are around Middies level, and therefore you may wish to consider the RNP ride on Sunday. I think you are up to it. If any concerns, please PM (personal message) me.

Normal bunches leave at 6.20, 6.30 (middies), and 6.40 if you don't want to do it.

Return to “Road”