Training with LACC mid week

Road cycling & upcoming rides
orphic

Postby orphic » 01 Oct 2009, 11:29

I was thinking about trying the mid week training LACC conducts at Olympic Park. It starts at 6am and is held on a Tuesday and Thursday. They split the group up into 5 bunches according to pace. At this stage I'm just looking at attending the Thursday morning sessions.

Is anyone else interested in trying this and rolling out from Marrickville with me next Thursday morning?

I don't know what the best/quickest way to get there is, so if someone knows and is able to post a bikely route that would be appreciated. We would need to get to the SOP train station before 6.

I'll probably need to go straight to work from there, so I will be riding to the city afterwards if anyone else needs to do the same.

http://www.lidcombe-auburn.cc/events_results/training

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 01 Oct 2009, 14:01

Victoria. The Cooks River bike path takes an hour to get there. It would take serious bribery to get me on a bike at that hour. What time would you wake to get ready???

Good luck with that!

orphic

Postby orphic » 01 Oct 2009, 14:16

Cooks River bike path is slow. It's 13.6km if you were to follow the route that google maps would take, which is obviously going to be the busiest. If it's viable or not to take this route at that time of the morning I don't know.

So say it's 15km out there, surely this is do-able at mid pace (30km's) in half an hour if there is a group of people?

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 01 Oct 2009, 17:31

Marrickville, Dulwich Hill, Ashfield, Croydon and up Concord for the more direct route But might be safer to come up to Lewisham, Haberfield (part of Bay Run), Five Dock, Concord and then Olympic Park. A route similar to what the annual Spring Cycles uses. Traffic on this can be a lot better on the return too as the residential streets of Concord/Five Dock are quieter and wider than those on the south side of Parramatta Rd.

Tried Olympic Park a few times but it's a bit too far to get to from where I am. CP is closer and safer.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 01 Oct 2009, 22:27

Off memory, the only other DHBC rider apart from me who's been there is geoffs

I use to ride into Ashfield and then over to Queen st to get there. Cooks river just as good but a little slower.

For the trip into the CBD afterwards, there will be a group of riders that will depart from Olympic park and follow a route that eventually gets you onto Lillyfield rd.

Timbo

Postby Timbo » 02 Oct 2009, 12:30

I've joined LACC a few times on Tuesdays and Thursdays. They have some super fast groups, but also lots of newbies and more bunch problems than we have so be careful. I ride to and from Haberfield.

Safest route is back streets of Five Dock (up from Timbrell Park), across Great North Road at Henry St, then down to Lyons Road beside Canada Bay. Then you follow the cycleway signs to Olympic Park. But not too far, as they will get you lost (they take you to Concord Hospital and then stop).

So you need to cross Major Bay's Road and then head up Davidson St. Then across Concord Road, to Pomeroy St and down the hill to a nice little back entrance to Bicentennial Park:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... .5,,0,2.57

From there it is easy to get to Olympic Park.

LACC also do a nice social ride on Saturdays around Drummoyne from 7am. They meet at the corner of Great North and Lyons Road. They go for about an hour, at about 22kph. Perfect for a singlespeed.

There is also a more serious LACC ride earlier on Saturday (I think 6am?) from Ashfield Cycles. I've not done it though.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 02 Oct 2009, 13:53

Never noticed that bike path entrance by the bridge. Thanks for the tip and would be useful for accessing the Bicentennial Park.

Otherwise I usually just go further up Pomeroy St and then turn up on Underwood Rd to Olympic Park. Just take care at the intersection under Homebush Bay Dr with the option of using pedestrian crossing if it's too busy.

Timbo

Postby Timbo » 02 Oct 2009, 14:00

Hi Weiyun. Yeah, Underwood Rd at that roundabout is crazy - I always avoid it.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 02 Oct 2009, 14:15

I note on LACC site that they've put out a notice on bunch behaviour on the URL orphic provided. Guess it's being noted and being addressed by management.

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 06 Oct 2009, 13:37

FWIW, Lindsay and I were chatting (very informally) the other day about getting a formal DHBC weekday ride going. I'll bring it up at the committee meeting that looks like happening tonight.

nickz

Postby nickz » 06 Oct 2009, 14:52

The back way to Olympic Park is right next to Concord West station,which is nicer than the huge roundabout. That one is bad enough in a car!

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 06 Oct 2009, 16:21

FWIW, Lindsay and I were chatting (very informally) the other day about getting a formal DHBC weekday ride going. I'll bring it up at the committee meeting that looks like happening tonight.
There was an attempt a couple of years ago to do a midweek hill ride, but it died after a month or so.

Nowadays there a are a lot more members, so a mid week ride would be more likely to succeed.

orphic

Postby orphic » 07 Oct 2009, 14:27

So I'm guessing no takers for tomorrow morning.

Since it may rain anyway, I might do the training I was supposed to on Tuesday morning but opted to sleep and rest my sore legs instead.

I'll aim for trying LACC next week.

shrubb face

Postby shrubb face » 07 Oct 2009, 16:16

Providing the weather is nice, i will be training with LACC tomorrow. Although as im lazy ill drive out there, train, then drive to work.

orphic

Postby orphic » 08 Oct 2009, 09:20

So how was it then?

I slept in after pulling one of my all important butt muscles on the rollers last night. Lame. Laziest week ever.

Return to “Road”