Safety and etiquette debrief

Road cycling & upcoming rides
weiyun

Postby weiyun » 08 Sep 2009, 15:41

We are starting this thread to focus on bunch safety and etiquettes, based on what we learnt through our regular training rides. The aim of this is to share our experiences both positive and negative so that we all can learn in the process and maintain the safety of our bunches. You may enter into a long discussion or succinctly enter the learnt points. We will aim to collate all the points for easy reference.

As in pilot debriefs, this is a no fault learning process for all. 8)

micklan

Postby micklan » 13 Sep 2009, 13:36

CALLS

Road detritus - anticipate. Up front please call glass and even vomit. (Yes the GP 4000s flick up a fair bit of vomit when one rolls over it. Never happened before, but today I got it)

Anticipate the several undulations to waterfall and watch the wheel in front...the undulation will lead to an inevitable slowing of the bunch

Calls of 'over' - must wait for the vehicle to actually pass the bunch leaders prior to calling over - also see below post on further procedure..

:o
Last edited by micklan on 14 Sep 2009, 07:26, edited 1 time in total.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 13 Sep 2009, 21:36

Call of "Over" should include any cars travelling past two lanes over. They can often change lanes to the middle lane as we move into the middle lane from the outer lane.

Anyone inexperienced, or without a CNSW licence, should refrain from being in front of the bunch on right hand side, or at back of bunch on right hand side, where directions and calls are made to the rest of the bunch.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 15 Sep 2009, 23:09

Give objects/holes a wide berth. The rider behind you will be following your wheel and will miss the object/hole by default.

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 18 Sep 2009, 14:17

If you know of a dangerous patch of road, share that information a few minutes ahead of the obstacle so you can communicate a looming lane change to the rest of the bunch.
Prime example: the very pitted inner lane on Kingsway, just past the intersection with Port Hacking Road. If an experienced rider who knows how crap and dangerous this patch is can get the whole bunch to prepare and move the far better middle lane, the whole bunch will have safer passage!

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 18 Sep 2009, 14:33

If you know of a dangerous patch of road, share that information a few minutes ahead of the obstacle so you can communicate a looming lane change to the rest of the bunch.
Prime example: the very pitted inner lane on Kingsway, just past the intersection with Port Hacking Road. If an experienced rider who knows how crap and dangerous this patch is can get the whole bunch to prepare and move the far better middle lane, the whole bunch will have safer passage!
I hate that section and even the middle lane has significant pot holes and irregularities. After a bit of rain, invariably there are big chunks of bitumen lying around to trap us.

My solution for that section has always been to occupy two lanes with one line of riders in each and then regroup at the top of the dipper. At that time of the day, it has zero impact on general traffic flow.

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 18 Sep 2009, 14:36

My solution for that section has always been to occupy two lanes with one line of riders in each and then regroup at the top of the dipper. At that time of the day, it has zero impact on general traffic flow.
Agreed. But it won't happen unless we talk about it!

micklan

Postby micklan » 18 Sep 2009, 19:13

Agreed. But it won't happen unless we talk about it!
We usually just take the middle lane- rarely is there a car to bother us...then merge left at top dipper

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 18 Sep 2009, 19:50

We usually just take the middle lane- rarely is there a car to bother us...then merge left at top dipper
As pointed out earlier, the middle lane also has some irregularities that's not ideal for 2 rows of cyclists going down at high speed.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 19 Sep 2009, 00:06

Which bit are we talking about? the bad bit at the bottom of the dip, or the bit in front of KFC (i think it's KFC). The second is worse road, but luckily we're going slower at that point. Though either way, probably good to take another lane for both bits.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 19 Sep 2009, 01:09

A good name for it would be the little dipper. The road surface is horrible in the left lane and a number of groups simply move into the middle lane on the downhill and then move left as the speed decreases on the uphill

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 19 Sep 2009, 10:28

Which bit are we talking about? the bad bit at the bottom of the dip, or the bit in front of KFC (i think it's KFC). The second is worse road, but luckily we're going slower at that point. Though either way, probably good to take another lane for both bits.
Primarily the high speed dipper section, going to about half way up the traffic light (entrance to the shopping centre). The section after the traffic light is also bad but we are usually only doing 20-25km/h and there's typically ample time to call and dodge.

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 21 Sep 2009, 13:47

I saw the results of this on Sunday as well as having it happen to myself.

If you are riding on the front of the group, you need to know where you are going. If you are unsure, make sure you inform the person beside you that you don't know. Then they can make sure that they let you know of any turns before they come up. If neither of you know where you are going, then get off the front. At least one of the two lead riders must always know the route that is being taken.

If you are on the front, make sure that you call any turns out clearly, this ensures that those behind you know where you are going. If you are in the middle of the bunch, ensure that the calls are passed down the line.

James

mcrkennedy

Postby mcrkennedy » 09 Oct 2009, 22:12

It seems appropriate to post a link to this blog from Cycling Tip which he has called Cycliquette http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/2009/10/cycliquette/ I think that this discussion covers some of the issues about riding on the road both in a bunch and individually or in small groups. I think our protocols stack up quite well compared to our Melbourne cousins.

I found the contribution as interesting and informative as the blog it self.

If you don't know Cycling Tips you should check it out.

rhys

Postby rhys » 02 Sep 2012, 18:53

One thing I've noticed lately is people going to stand up mid-pack and 'putting the handbrake on'. It's a bit dangerous as you can easily have the person behind you touch wheels causing them, and the people behind/beside them to go down as well. It's not exclusive to our bunches and I'm sure it's ailed cyclists since the beginning of time. We have some absolute shockers for it, but I'm sure I've done it plenty too so here is a tip.
Try and keep your hips the same distance from your headset top cap when you stand up for the first couple of pedal strokes, and keep pedalling as you've stood up. Once your momentum is even again you're free to stretch or move about on your bike.
There's nothing worse than having to hit the brakes when going up a hill because someone shoots back into you, so hopefully this will aid in stopping it.
Cheers.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 02 Sep 2012, 21:49

Totally with you here rhys. I've seen the etiquette thread on other clubs forums that the riders need to call out standing before jumping out of the saddle. I guess that is a method to warn the rider behind before they narrowly avoid ploughing through their derailleur, however using a smoother transition from sit to stand would be a much better option. Great tip, thanks for sharing!

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 03 Sep 2012, 00:06

Yes, a smooth transition obviates the need to call. Also, people sometimes think that if they've called, then it's ok to push back... like 'I warned you, dude!'

shrubb face

Postby shrubb face » 03 Sep 2012, 14:55

I think the basic summary here is learn to ride a bike and it won't be an issue :)

Return to “Road”