LOOP THE LAKE

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Trouty

Postby Trouty » 08 Mar 2009, 19:01

The Dulwich Hill side at Loop the Lake today consisted of:

Miguel and Annie (Annie a supporter), Michael Insomniac & his partner Tracy, Rodney & Fiancée (I forgot her name Sorry Rodney - but she was lovely), Stuart and of course me. We were met by another couple of friends of mine from work.

I thought Loop the Lake was a great ride. For some reason the camp was divided on whether it was a harder ride than Waterfall (both were 85km). Miguel and I thought it was much easier than Waterfall and every one thinks we went a different direction, but the elevations show who is right. It may have been that Miguel and I were slip streaming with the right crowd whilst Rodney and Stuart didn't. Plenty of hills but very undulating, perfect weather. Loop the lake definitely has more hills, but they are less steep than Waterfall. See elevation:

LOOP THE LAKE

WATERFALL

It was worth the trip just to see Insomniac in action. Unfortunately he didn't perform to his usual standard. His passing quote at the finish line being: "%^%%& that is the hardest ride I have ever been on". This from a guy who loves RNP. My thoughts are a) He burnt himself out in the first 20km b) the sleeping pills he took the night before c) his usual 4 hours sleep d) the extra load he was carrying. Crikey he could have bought panniers. What rider takes his complete wallet, a family litre bottle of sun screen and other non essentials, and shoves it all in the rear of his jersey?. 10 points for Tracy who finished the whole 85km on a flat bar road bike, with runners and no clip ons. It was her first long ride. She didn't finish too far behind us (and actually looked in better shape than Mike at the end).

Anyway - as a charity ride - it's a good change from Waterfall, and a chance for the other halves of partners that don't ride much. Rodney's fiancée did the smaller loop and joined us at the end. We all completed it in around 3 hours so it is very similar to Waterfall.

Hope the group and some new candidates will join us next year........AND WE ARE ALL SOOOOO SORRY WE MISSED RNP !!!

insomniac

Postby insomniac » 09 Mar 2009, 08:19

at the end of the day my ride was possibly one of the most insipid riding perfomances by anyone to don the red DHBC jersey..I felt I bought shame to to the proud red jersey and the club itself. I am a total loss to explain my miserable effort, but I will console myself somewhat in the fact that I went out hard from the start but hit the wall early on somewhere around the 35km mark when I had a muffin (possibly I was "nobbled"). I am now damaged goods - psychologically - and in urgent need of motivational, positive advice. As for my declaration of being a middie, I am now relegating myself back to cruisers. If Derryn Hinch had witnessed my ride the immortal words "Shame! Shame! Shame! would be heard all over the Lake Macqurie region. ...geez, I just dunno what happened..honest to God I felt so good at the start as I blew those pretenders Troutman and Miguel away .....and then I just sort of ...died in the proverbial.

None the less a great day was had by everyone else. As far as Troutman's declaration that the course was as easier than Waterfall...what bloody planet are you on?

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 09 Mar 2009, 09:10

Sounded like that you bonked on the ride. Did you fuel yourself well before the ride and adequately hydrate yourself along the way?

insomniac

Postby insomniac » 09 Mar 2009, 09:27

I fuelled myself as much as I normally do (which prob is less than I should). I was very sore in the saddle midway thru the course and made me feel sore all over. Don't think I bonked out, just got less motivated as I got sorer, but even then I should of done better.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 09 Mar 2009, 09:43

Don't worry Michael, we have all been through rides like that where nothing went right. I am sure you'll be back to your normal self this Sun.

The alternative psychological strategy is to put all the blame on the bike or some component of your equipment. A good splurge in a LBS can usually fix the mental incapacity in the short term. :wink:

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 09 Mar 2009, 19:40

If Derryn Hinch had witnessed my ride the immortal words "Shame! Shame! Shame! As far as Troutman's declaration that the course was as easier than Waterfall...what bloody planet are you on?
Ok - maybe it wasn't easier. I'm not the best at geography or obviously topography - I couldn't even remember the 4 lane freeway we rode on!

I think you are too hard on yourself Mike. You weren't that bad, just not your strong self. Getting back into training will help you.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 09 Mar 2009, 21:45

The ride was great but I went worse than last year I think - maybe not being able to suck wheel behind Jo's friend the triathlete made a difference! Difference to Waterfall is that there are a lot more hills, not hugely steep, just more of them and not riding in a bunch makes a difference. Was surprised to see Michael dropping off the pace but the biggest mention should go to Tracy, who rode the 85k course on a hybrid after only a few long rides and finished in about 4 hours - big effort Tracy and lets hope we see you on more rides soon.

Miguel

Postby Miguel » 10 Mar 2009, 17:55

The ride was great, the company of your entire fellow rider was fantastic, :lol: may be it was easier or may be it was harder; nevertheless I enjoy the whole ride, :lol: and Michael remember we all have our off day, and may be yours was on Sunday, always there is next time, and I most certainly I will be there next year, thank you to all the riders for a great company and a great ride.

insomniac

Postby insomniac » 10 Mar 2009, 21:09

Second those sentiments...great bunch to be with over the weekend..and when reading about Amy's accident I realise what a great bunch of pepple make up this club...and to quote Jeff Fenech's immortal words " I luv yerz alls".

Return to “Road”