Regular Cruisers RNP Ride? Feedback sought

Road cycling & upcoming rides
geoff m

Postby geoff m » 03 Feb 2009, 21:23

Wow, it was a fantastic ride for 18 people into RNP who are no longer virgins to real hills. Thanks to Weiyun, Mike C and others for organising this, even if Mike didn't make it on the day, but texted us encouragement from hospital during the ride.

It now begs the questions...... do we wish to build a cruisers RNP into our program??? With winter road riding coming up (eg. B2B, Ken Dinnverville Memorial, etc) and with the glorious Summer and Autumn mornings, its a great opportunity to continue with this diversified training (and fun).

We could continue to have the same format of in at Waterfall and out at Audley on the first Sunday of each month. We can also add the format of in Audley and out at Waterfall (much harder version) on the third Sunday of each month in line with the regular RNP schedule.

I would think that once a month is a no brainer and will go with this option as a minimum. Downside is that it only gives us three to four more rides before it gets cold and dark. Winter does not signify an end to ride - however, those who do this ride more regularly are more likely to continue into Winter.

What is the feedback on doing this 1st and 3rd Sunday of the month at alternative entrances, commencing 5.45am? Would need reasonable commitment of minimum 6 to 8 riders with at least two more experience riders?

Also, I reckon at least 5 or 6 of the riders are better to start with the regular 6.00am start. I tend to be in the bottom 25th percentile of the regular ride, so anyone who passed me, or kept close to me when riding through RNP last Sunday is possibly a candidate for that ride (you know who you are!). We tend to ride out to the RNP entry points at the pace of Sunday Middies and have similar catch up spots in RNP.

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 03 Feb 2009, 21:36

I'd be up for it. I really enjoyed last Sunday's ride. I'll enjoy it even more when I can use my full gear range.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 04 Feb 2009, 05:21

Geoff, have you considered staggering the regular and slowies RNP rides ie. Slowies on 2nd and 4th Sun of the month? It would mean some of the more experienced RNP riders could drop in and assist.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 04 Feb 2009, 05:54

I think an RNP ride once a month for us cruisers is a a great idea as a start, possibly not the first Sunday of the month considering some of us have Omnium on the first Saturday of the month. This breaks up the Sunday slowies group occassionally which is becoming quite large and hard to manage, whilst giving the more experienced cruisers a chance to push harder. We just have to make sure there are enough riders willing to help with calls and managing the group on both rides.

mcrkennedy

Postby mcrkennedy » 04 Feb 2009, 09:37

I would be interested in a monthly ride in the Park. I think that 2 rides a month at this stage may be a bit ambitious. But in time it will happen.

I am also happy to help out in any way I can even if I am the slowest person up the hills. Jo I will catch you with the help of my coach, Weiyun Carmichael's mantra Push, Pull!!

I would say that the hills are someone I met at a party and they seem nice and I would not object to meeting them again.

PeterOS

Postby PeterOS » 04 Feb 2009, 12:54

I agree with weiyun idea, every week there should be a RNP ride. The ride is always 6.00am and every 2 & 4 week are designed to cater for slowies. The regular RNP riders will be there to assist so it won't become a burden on a selected few riders to turn up to help out, and the more regular something is, the more likely it is to succeed.

Terry

Postby Terry » 04 Feb 2009, 17:07

I am keen to ride the RNP regularly. I missed the first one with the cruisers due to a pain in my thigh that i thought should be rested not hammered out on the hills.

insomniac

Postby insomniac » 04 Feb 2009, 18:20

I favour once a month..but if a ride into RNP was to be considered every second Sunday, I would prefer to vary the route with a ride to Otford and Helensburg..

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 04 Feb 2009, 18:50

I favour once a month..
I favour once a month to start off with until us cruisers build up to it. In chatting with a few people on the RNP ride they were comfortable they could commit to doing a regular ride like this once a month.

Michael K - It won't take you long to catch me......Hills have never been my stregnth even when I am fit.

eric

Postby eric » 04 Feb 2009, 19:15

I would be interested in a monthly ride in the Park. I think that 2 rides a month at this stage may be a bit ambitious. But in time it will happen.
I agree with Michael Kennedy,2 rides a months don't have enough riders turning up. Like to cruises once a month with RNP slowies and maybe 2nd month cruises to Otford and Helensburg route. Should aim 100km Plus, try to train for more distance.
First ride will always attract large numbers, to frequent will drop in numbers unless you are dedicated rider.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 05 Feb 2009, 20:55

OK - Let's go with this.

RNP Cruisers. 2nd Sunday of each month

5.45am departure sharp.

All riders must have lights.

In at Waterfall, out at Audley.

Depending on numbers we will review and adjust accordingly.

Stuart, would you kindly update the start times etc on front page.

Thanks all. Looking forward to it.

Geoff

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 06 Feb 2009, 11:32

On reflection, this will commence on 2nd Sunday of March and not next week as we have just done this ride.

Stuart, maybe the update to RNP rides could be as follows, but don't update until after next Sunday in case someone turns up.

Sunday Royal National Park Ride -

95km training ride starts cnr Marrickville & Illawara Rds. Marrickville through Royal National Park and return.
1st Sunday of each month. Middies/Fasties. 6.00am. Enter RNP at Waterfall and exit at Audley.
2nd Sunday of each month. Cruisers. 5.45 am. Enter RNP at Waterfall and exit at Audley.
3rd Sunday of each month. Middies/Fasties. 6.00am. Enter RNP at Audley and exit at Waterfall

Lights are compulsory for these early starts.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 07 Feb 2009, 18:05

I'm thinking of making 2nd March my first ride back on the bike, a ride thru RNP will make a great recovery ride. Won't know for sure until closer to the date.

Return to “Road”