TRacK bIke hElp

For all things Velodrome
Glenno

Postby Glenno » 07 Jul 2007, 19:37

I need some suggestions / help / feedback with regard to getting a track bike.

I probably need to get a 58cm frame. And would prefer aluminium or steel.

I saw a cinelli frame on parker international, anyone know anything about these?

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 07 Jul 2007, 20:13

The FRF boys were distributing the cinelli track frame to Australia last year. They sponsored the thursday night track racing at tempe which RBCC ran, it was the cinelli track series. There's a few of them going round amongst the FRF boys, though they've upgraded or changed to the Argon 18's which there main squad rides now, the FRF-NSW-IS team.

I've had a close up look at them on a few ocassions, generally i would say an aluminium track frame is an aluminium track frame. They're generally produced in the same factories in Taiwan & perform fairly consistently. I mean the cinelli could be slightly better, they do look nice & it may have a carbon steerer on the fork, most have alloy. Alot of the big sprinter use alloy over carbon though as it can snap, depending on how the carbon is produced. It just depends on the price? 450 pounds?

If you want to buy from parker international the Dolans are worth a look too, however they are very British.

Glenno

Postby Glenno » 07 Jul 2007, 20:45

I'm not a carbon fan after some 3ttt carbon bars I had cracked so I am happy to go aluminium. which of the Dolan frames would be worth a look?

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 07 Jul 2007, 21:05

Have you got any track parts at all yet?

Cause i would have a look at what Australia has to offer before going overseas. The raceline which is now badged Apollo is one of the best value for money options as a complete package, really nice set of cranks, wheels arn't bad, require abit of maintenance but nothing complex. But overall a good package, about $1500.

If you want to build from the frame, there's the Fuji which James F got which was a really good buy, I think he shopped around build it up with mainly dura-ace for under $2000 which was some really good buying. There's the team Alex inexa's which me a Linds have, they come with stem & track bars now though which Al can get, so they're pretty easily accessible, then there's the Avanti which is a compact frame if your into that sort of thing, again good value for money. Then if you really want something cheap, there's the Hillbrick, though they are significantly heavier.

The Dollan i would look at is would probably be the track champion, the Team replica looks alright too. I've only really ever layed eyes on the Dolans when the World cup was in Sydney last year, the Brits all rode the clarence st cup & i got a fairly close look at them then. Though from memory the sprinters had a more chunky carbon frame rather than the aluminium. Typically the Brits like Chris Hoy use custom frames specifically made at about 30 000 pounds but the sponsored riders ride dolans & they could be the custom bikes badged dolan though, you can never be too sure. So it's up to you? If you want to buy from overseas, Ridley make a pretty nice track bike also but i would expect it would be pretty pricey...

Glenno

Postby Glenno » 07 Jul 2007, 21:23

I'm happy to spend upto $3k. I don;t care is I get Aussie or or O/S. Just like a nice bike. I liked the Raceline that Huw bought on ebay.

When is Al's shop open?

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 07 Jul 2007, 22:13

9-5, mon-fri? & sat till 1200, but you have to get him & not his brother. & i don't think he does the raceline, Terry at Rocky point road cycles does though. For $3K maybe a Raceline with campag pista wheels would be a nice buy? worthy of A grade. Depends on what cranks your after really? The raceline comes with sugino 75,170mm, but if you want campy record or dura ace you would go with probly a different frame & build up. Sugino 75 are a nice set of cranks same PCD as record & dura-ace with not much diff except the bling factor. Of course i'm a campag man but if i had of got the raceline i would of stuck with the sugino.

One thing to take into account though is the price of chain rings if you want to change gearing. they are about $130-150 each in record & can cost as much as $200 in dura ace. Which if you bought the complete set 47 up to 52 that's between $650 & $1000 in its self if you want to throw cash around...

Glenno

Postby Glenno » 08 Jul 2007, 00:13

thanks,
terry helped me out after my accident last yr. He biult up my bianchi with shimano (sin i know).

I might pay him a visit.

What are the teschners worth/like?

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 08 Jul 2007, 12:01

Teschners are really the next step up from an aluminium frame. They are carbon fibre, good stiff track bikes. If you have the money and want a really good bike they're a good purchase really. The frame alone will set you back $3.5K though. But in comparison to the competition it's a really good price. BT's are around $7K for the frame, Look's $10K & Anchor's now badged Bridgestone about $4-5K. So really if your looking for a really nice bike, it is the one to have a look at...

Terry distributes the Teschner too, & rides one, so he'll tell you the in & outs...

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 08 Jul 2007, 23:51

There're a couple of 58cm Felt TK2's on ebay at the moment, one is a frame http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FELT-TK2-TRACK-F ... dZViewItem Good price but i'm not sure what the modifications were, though if you got it for $350, that's a bargain.

The complete bike is a reasonable price too http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FELT-TK2-TRACK-B ... dZViewItem

There's also a dura-ace track groupset, but there's a lot of stuff you wouldn't need, and the 165mm cranks are probably a bit short if you're on a 58cm frame http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Shimano-Dura-Ace ... dZViewItem could always sell some bits, an buy what you need, though i think that's probably a bit too much effort.

There's also a cervelo P2T, though may be a bit small.

For me, i'd probably buy the Felt Frameset, after asking for a bit more info on the modification of course, and then buy the parts i want to put on it from probably ebay again, and some nice velocity track wheels from Alan. I guess, Dura-Ace crankset/BB/Cog, Nitto or Deda Bars, Velocity Wheels, etc. Could be put together for under $1500 easily including pedals.

For under $3000 you've got plenty of options anyway.

Glenno

Postby Glenno » 05 Aug 2007, 21:34

Got back from France on Saturday and got an update on my new Raceline track bike from Terry at Rocky Point Rd Cycles.

The bike is the same as Huw's track bike but it is blue. It shoud be ready sometime this week.

The only decision left is what to do about pedals. I was thinking about going with speedplay pedals as I use these on the rest of my bikes, but was a bit concerned about them for use on track.

I noticed that they make a track pedal but it is not compatible with the current Zero cleats im using now. Any variation from this will probably require buying new shoes which will add some additional cost.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 05 Aug 2007, 23:57

I've got the zero track pedals, but i don't notice too much difference between them and the normal ones. Cleats are exactly the same, unless the spring is stiffer for the track ones, but since there are no replacement zero track cleats i doubt this. Basically all i could see was a slight variaton on the pedal where the cleat grabs (the metal in the groove on the pedals).

Hope this helps.

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 06 Aug 2007, 16:43

glenno,
if your bike is blue and its brand new, its probably the rebadged apollo.
http://www.apollobikes.com/raceline/rac ... neproducts#
After the pedals, you might also want to think about getting some proper track drop bars. I think the put road bike drops on.
I'm picking up the same bike in a fortnight.

Glenno

Postby Glenno » 06 Aug 2007, 16:53

Yes it is the rebadged bike. The handlebars are road bars and the wheels were also road rims, so i have replaced the wheels with some low end track wheels and i put a fizik seat on the bike.

I will wait and see what the handle bars feel like. Not a great expense to change them over if I dont like them.

I think I will get the standard speedplay zero wheels

Huw

Postby Huw » 16 Aug 2007, 15:32

Adrian, Glenno, when will we see y'all trackside?

Glenno

Postby Glenno » 16 Aug 2007, 19:03

Huw,

Im stuck at home with what feels like the worst flu ive ever had.

So maybe next week, depending on work.

Just need to get some pedals and with all of the debate on straps etc im not sure what I should get.

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 16 Aug 2007, 19:36

gee... we must be living in parallel universes. Both bought Blue Apollo Records and both sick with terrible flu in the same week.
Btw: check this out for some fun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXLHWmjA5IE
I hope to be at the track on Monday… fingers crossed!

Regarding the whole pedal controversy. I decided to go with clipless shimano 105s. For me, I think the clips and straps would be necessary if I were doing standing sprints but I’m mostly interested in doing track for the fitness at the moment. It was a purely economical decision as I can’t cant afford to buy a whole new set of pedals, clips, straps, shoes and cleats combo (but maybe sometime in the future). I’ve tightened up the 105s so they’re extreamly hard pull out of. I’d also be interested in experimenting with putting a strap on them. I also think that if you keep a good set of unworn cleats on then the chances of pulling out are much lower. But I’m prepared to look like a fool if it happens to me.

One thing I have been wondering if people think its good to use no float cleats at the track?

Any thoughts?

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 16 Aug 2007, 23:51

Btw: check this out for some fun......
Excellent, I think i need to invest in a bell.

I've got a cold at the moment too, but i haven't bought the Blue Apollo Record. Mine just turned up when i decided to win a race. I could even feel it coming when the race was prettymuch in the bag.

I'm hoping to get back to the track on monday, just have to hope that nothing else turns up to stop me. If you're well, i expect to see you on your nice new machine.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 17 Aug 2007, 10:56

Why don't you initially ride with what ever pedals you have got and then upgrade later.

timyone

Postby timyone » 18 Aug 2007, 16:39

gee... we must be living in parallel universes. Both bought Blue Apollo Records and both sick with terrible flu in the same week.
Btw: check this out for some fun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXLHWmjA5IE
I hope to be at the track on Monday… fingers crossed!

Regarding the whole pedal controversy. I decided to go with clipless shimano 105s. For me, I think the clips and straps would be necessary if I were doing standing sprints but I’m mostly interested in doing track for the fitness at the moment. It was a purely economical decision as I can’t cant afford to buy a whole new set of pedals, clips, straps, shoes and cleats combo (but maybe sometime in the future). I’ve tightened up the 105s so they’re extreamly hard pull out of. I’d also be interested in experimenting with putting a strap on them. I also think that if you keep a good set of unworn cleats on then the chances of pulling out are much lower. But I’m prepared to look like a fool if it happens to me.

One thing I have been wondering if people think its good to use no float cleats at the track?

Any thoughts?
the stack in front of me wasnt a standing sprint, and he pulled his pedal :S

Return to “Track”