2017 MastersTrack National Championships IP

For all things Velodrome
jcaley

Postby jcaley » 10 Mar 2017, 15:07

After riding a not very impressive 2:49 on Tempe to see how I was far off the masters 5 state champiomship times ( 20 seconds from a chance at the podium IMO), I decided to enter anyway. After all Tempe was a bit windy, I had no time trial gear, and it was at the end of a training night. With just 2 weeks until the champs, I couldn't really improve much but I did fit Bro's fancy-looking TT bars to my old apollo and rode a few laps of Tempe to get the feel of these weird things. I managed a 1:19 kilo and felt stuffed at the end of it. All I needed to do was 2 seconds faster for the first kilo and then keep that pace for another kilo! I decided on a plan to ride that same pace for the first kilo and then gun it at the end if I could. So aiming for a 2:36 but hoping for better. In any case, I had no-one to walk the line for me giving lap by lap feedback on a schedule. (Actually Bro was keen but I told him he couldn't skip school to do it.)

I got to Dunc on Thursday feeling pretty weird to be there on a work day. Lizanne had loaned me her rear disc and 3 spoker and I had a sperm helmet given to me by Phil LM. I met our very own Mel Gibson also giving it a go despite being a sprinter so I walked the line for her (and she set a new PB). While world records tumbled (7 of them!), I warmed up on rollers and was chatting away when Crafty called my name on the PA. I'd missed my start! Wrongly assuming there would be masters 1,2 ,3 and 4 heats before masters 5. Luckily there was a rider missing from the final heat so the let me in there.
Out of the gate ok and a steady acceleration saw me one second down after lap 1. I picked it up a bit but after that, I couldn't read the screen anymore so I just kept up what felt like a good pace. A bit wobbly on the bends but hey - first time on dunc on TT bars. Then it was 2 laps to go and I hear Crafty say something about me coming home well. I dug deep for the last lap - no acceleration but I didn't slow down. As I recovered, the names for the next heat were already on the board. I knew I hadn't caused an upset or Crafty would have been talking about it. Luckily CNSW have finally got live results on the web so I grabbed my phone and looked it up. fifth overall with 2:34.915. I was very happy! Three seconds off a bronze medal ride-off but better than my target. With the benefit of 20-20 hindsight, I think I could have gone flat out a couple of laps earlier. Masters 5 IP qualifier results here. I might do it again next year.

Jenny and Bob W

Postby Jenny and Bob W » 10 Mar 2017, 15:33

Well done John
Tess

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 11 Mar 2017, 21:17

Great effort John.

JayAcher

Postby JayAcher » 13 Mar 2017, 08:27

Well done!

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 13 Mar 2017, 11:45

Nice one!

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 13 Mar 2017, 12:58

That's a really good time John. I suspect its the best 2000mtr time by a club member in modern times

Return to “Track”