Skinny Bars

For all things Velodrome
Nozzle

Postby Nozzle » 16 Sep 2014, 19:49

I've noticed a trend to go for narrow bars on the track. Idea being reduced frontal area.

What is the downside or limitations of going narrow? I've always read that they should be roughly the width of your shoulders (joint to joint). In that case I'd go 40-42cm. Some guys are running 34-36cm.

What width bars are you running vs shoulder width?

Jdubs

Postby Jdubs » 02 Feb 2015, 13:38

That's hell skinny Noel, one knock and you're off. I wouldn't do that, I reckon they're doing it to get more streamlined. Not worth the safety for me.

Jonathan

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 02 Feb 2015, 14:08

Skinny is also about allowing you to go thru narrower gaps.

I guess you would get use to any width after a couple of rides on them

Nozzle

Postby Nozzle » 13 Feb 2015, 13:43

I've been off the forums for a bit. I've now got a set of Scatto's coming my way from Canberra. I believe that they are 35cm bar. Keep your eyes peeled when I try to onsell after my experiment.....

James Rogers

Postby James Rogers » 13 Feb 2015, 15:52

Yeah, I reckon you'll hate them Noel. I'll take them off your hands.

timyone

Postby timyone » 01 Mar 2015, 11:28

It's funny, I always thought of road bars as the wide ones. We were always taught that you put them behind your back sort of facing towards you under your arms a bit to see if they are about the shoulder point. On the road you need to lean the bike over for corners etc. On the track you don't need any of that.

James Rogers

Postby James Rogers » 01 Mar 2015, 15:54

Really, handlebars don't work without anchor points, in most cases, this means your hands (stunts excepted)! So, if you ride in the drops all the time (like track racing), then you are riding the advertised width of the bar. However, if you change your hands to the tops, as often seen on the road, you are reducing the space between your hands, and effectively riding much narrower bars.

The counter-argument to the idea that wide bars are better for opening the chest cavity and therefore should match shoulder width, is that in a intensive cycling position your bent elbows do that naturally anyway -- witness the number of pro climbers that will ascend on the tops (effectively narrow bars), elbows out; or sprinters' protruding elbows in a sprint. Although I don't win sprints, so there might be a lesson there.

For cornering at speed on the road, you will be countersteering, which reduces the amount of leverage needed to turn on most bikes. Wheelflop might be an argument for wider bars, but then do people riding identical bikes with 40cm bars turn less efficiently than ones on 46cm bars? I dunno.

Can you guess I ride 38cm road bars yet? They are skinnier than my shoulders, but I find them a lot more comfortable than wider bars, but still provide enough hand positions and control. I know Adam Hansen rides 38cm bars, but after seeing his, er, unique bike setup in close range at the TDU, I'd wager his reasons might be different to mine. But then again, 42cm to 38cm is what, 4cm or roughly 10%? Might be more psychological than physical...

I'd ride narrower on the track if I could find them cheap enough, hint, hint. ;)

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 01 Mar 2015, 21:58

It's funny, I always thought of road bars as the wide ones. We were always taught that you put them behind your back sort of facing towards you under your arms a bit to see if they are about the shoulder point. On the road you need to lean the bike over for corners etc. On the track you don't need any of that.
Ah Tim, you were at DGV about 7 years ago when I made a rather necessary right hand turn :)

The width differences being quoted in thread make little or no difference to most experienced riders, there simply isn't enough weight to need leverage. Once the rider is use to the new width they should corner as per before.

And if there's a reduction in breathing capacity then it would be due to flexibility issues

Nozzle

Postby Nozzle » 03 Jun 2015, 22:44

A few months on and I love the new bars. Took a while to get used to doing starts and also on a new bike making a big difference. Now the roadie bars feel massive.

Return to “Track”