Australian Masters Track Champs - bike box wanted

For all things Velodrome
mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 02 Mar 2014, 20:01

I've entered the Australian Masters Track Champs which means I'll be flying to/from Melbourne.

Can anyone lend me a bike box and or wheel box

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 03 Mar 2014, 07:19

Hi Mike,

Warren Munce borrowed mine and still has it but you are welcome to borrow it if you want to get in contact with him?

Jo

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 03 Mar 2014, 07:30

Thanks Jo, can you send me Warren's contact details

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 13 Mar 2014, 11:42

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 23 Mar 2014, 10:15

Well the Aussie Track Champs didn't go that well for me.

I had entered 2 events, the 2000mtr Individual Pursuit, which I was using as a forerunner to the event I was interested in, that being the Points race.

Thursday
Flew down on Thursday morning and cabbed it straight to the veldrome and assembled my bike. Peter T had lent me a great bike box, but it wasn't compatible with track wheels, so I had my disc wheel assembled as a road wheel then converted it to a track wheel at the track.

Lunchtime I did laps of the velodrome, which is similar to DGV but has a longer corner and shorter straight.

Then came the IP qualifying. On the first lap I realised that I hadn't recovered fully from being sick, I was not rolling over the gear, as can be seen in the following video http://youtu.be/QkJAS-AGESk the end result was 2m40s, well below the target I had set myself of 2m35s.

Two of the NSW riders had said they were 5 seconds slower than DGV siting the track as been slower and one rider I observed being 3 seconds slower. One NSW rider recorded the same time. I can't see why the track would be slower, but some seemed to think so. What I did learn was that my bike is not on the measurement limit, as long as I leave the seat where it is I can move the handlebars forward. I find my current TT setup cramped and would prefer to be more spread out.

Friday
I felt smashed all day, how could a single event have such an effect on me? I'm glad there was no racing that day.

Saturday
Still feeling the effects, I cabbed it to the velodrome and reassembled my bike. I sat out the warmup on the track and jumped on Des Kidd's rollers shortly before the event. I felt sick on the rollers, but I was there, no point in not racing.

Pace went off a little quicker than I expected, but I was OK, got myself a good position for the first points and took 4th for a single point. This spurred me on and I switched to my pre race strategy, that being to attack at the end of the first points. So I went off the front, but the pack reacted and I hadn't gained enough meters so I sat up and let them catch me. From there on I just sat in, not contesting the points and more importantly, ignoring a breakaway that I would of gone for normally.

Towards the end I took advantage of an attacking rider and attempted to breakaway Video: http://youtu.be/hBGUmW6TFMk and for the last set of points I had a crack at getting some, amongst a depleted field, but was piped on the line for the points Video: http://youtu.be/FcnX4GvamVA

Flights
Thu Virgin Despite having two 23kg luggage allocations, they wanted me to pay $60 excess baggage for 27kg. I pointed out that I had two 23kg allocations, but they said they didn't combine, then they waved the fee

Sun Jetstar The bike box didn't fit on the scales so they asked me how much it weighed so I said 25kg which was exactly my weight allocation :) The plane failed a safety check and we were sent to another gate, where we had to wait for another plane to arrive and disembark. When the plane was about to be boarded, the airport was closed down due to lighting. About an hour later we were on the flight, there was no service on the flight as the staff had to stay in their seats due to the weather. And
to top it off the exit tunnel at Sydney Airport was broken and we had a further delay while they tried to fix it, gave up and got some stairs so we could exit thru the rear. Overall end result was we got home so late that I slept in and missed the MCCC crit.

Return to “Track”