DHBC Juniors Training, News and Statistics 9 October 2013

For all things Velodrome
James Rogers

Postby James Rogers » 10 Oct 2013, 16:18

Hello Everyone,

Just to be completely unpredictable, I'm sending out this news update on time! It must be the unseasonable weather...

Bit of a big night rider-wise, with 31 juniors coming down to the track. Daylight savings strikes! There goes my 22 theory. That didn't last long.

Because of numbers, we weren't able to quite get through everything on the agenda. The wheel race will have to wait for another day. We had full attendance from all the U17s and U13s; half of U15, and four from U11.

First up were pace lines. C did well at a higher pace this week – good job guys. B did their 20 and A did 10 – lots of improvement in the A group. Keep it up!

Group A got to jump on the trainers and spin like their lives depended on it (thanks Alan for punishing them).

Group B & C did flying 200s. And look, I produced a chart! I also added in some results from roughly a year ago (we had a massive 11 riders that evening) for comparison. The blue bars are from yesterday (09/10/13) and the green bars are from 01/08/2012. It's a good indication of how much improvement can be made over a year (okay, 14.25 months).

Also to note on these times, a lot of them are very close, and the stopping of the stop watch greatly depends on how much coffee I have consumed, and if anyone is asking me, "What was my time" just as I am trying to hit the button... (I'm looking at you, group B!)… Anyway, improvements across the board. Although Tom Bolton, could you try harder next time? Just kidding. Group C, and other missing people, you'll be next for the flying 200s.

Next we had a Team Pursuit, which saw the groups pair up, and then get separated into different teams, starting at either side of the 'drome.

Group C raced well, keeping their groups together. Given that we can just make up rules at training, I did, and they were allowed to finish with just 4 riders. Holy complications, Batman! Given the teams were allowed about, well, zero seconds to work out who they would drop, both sides rode well. Not a lot of carnage until they got into about the 6th lap of their allotted 10 and started to shell riders. Finally, Taku's team crossed the line over Zanzi's team. Some good team work, however, with riders working well together.

Group B hopefully learnt something from Group C. The extra twist was their ride was non-drop. Ouch. Luke's team narrowly pipped Tess's team, with both sides vying for the lead throughout their race.

Group A, with 3 riders a side had small teams and had to spend more times on the front. While they sometimes struggled to stay together, they did well to finish (mostly) as a team. Some good calling from a few riders, and good to see Georgia and Genevieve giving it their all. Will's team came first, and Lawrence's team second.

As a nice surprise, Eleri turned up with the bike DHBC won at last year's RAW (not the one won at this year's). With track captains Tom B and Alison wrestling the bike out of Eleri's hands (who belatedly discovered she quite fancied it), the rest of the juniors got to give it a good once over. Featuring 650b wheels, I predict it will be a popular bike in the Juniors. Thanks RAW racers, and particular thanks to Hillbrick, for sponsoring the prize.

For anyone who is interested, the National Junior Track Series is on this weekend at Dunc Gray Velodrome. It is pretty exciting, and well worth your time. It runs this Saturday from 12pm—6pm; and then on Sunday from 9am—3pm. If you have aspirations to race, this is really a fantastic event. Come and support the DHBC riders!

DHBC hosted Junior track carnival - November 30
We will be hosting a junior track carnival at the end of November, this will be a Cycling NSW event and open to all clubs. We are looking for volunteers in all areas to help out with things such as the BBQ, canteen, registration, handlers, and various other jobs. It will be a enjoyable afternoon event... and many hands make light work (etc)! Please see this DHBC forum for more details.

Thanks to Lizanne for keeping the flow of riders for the 200s, and Tom B for keeping the track in order, and Alan for running the rollers, and all the parents who cheered, helped put away the bikes and otherwise kept the energy up for the evening. Thanks too, to the riders, for another good training session.

Colin will be back next week, most likely stuffed full of cheese and chocolate.

James

Return to “Track”