DHBC Juniors Training, News and Statistics 25 Sep 2013

For all things Velodrome
James Rogers

Postby James Rogers » 02 Oct 2013, 13:33

Hello Everyone,

Another better-late-than-never edition of the newsletter. While the weather is warmer and drier than winter, how about those winds on Thursday? Lucky they didn't come 12 hours earlier.

We had 22 riders last Wednesday, and pretty much everyone was on the track by 5:30pm. I must say, it was a ripper of a session and we got through all activities on time and we were off the track before 7pm. Clockwork! Thanks everyone. Now if we could get as good at putting away bikes, that would be great. Please see the note at the bottom.

Pacelines were first, with Group C doing 25 laps, which I increased to 30 on the hop because they were going so slow. Group B did 20 laps, and kept a very good formation. Group A did well, but all riders should consider holding their line, and keeping a nice steady speed.

Next we had a re-run of the paired pursuit, but this time between and oldest and the youngest riders – so group C had to lead group A. Excellent team work on display, with no-one being dropped. Good concentration from the A's and excellent communication from the C's. Keep it up!

Results for the pairs were:
1. Taku/Claude
2. Francis/Christian
3. Ruby/Xavier
4. Rohan/Max
5. Liam/Lawrence
6. Alison/Will
7. Tom/Juliette
8. Zanzi/Oliver

Next we ran Eliminations. The Elimination is a National Junior Track Series event, and we are trying to include at least one of these events in each training session. If you are racing, or look to race one day (and the Junior's survey indicated that 50% of our riders come to track so they can race), then you will probably end up doing an elimination. Good fun, and the rule is simple: don't be last. Also, I might add, you don't want to be first until the last lap, either. Save energy, sit behind someone else!

Results for the eliminations were:

Group C:
8. Alison
7. Rohan
6. Ruby
5. Liam
4. Zanzi
3. Tom C
2. Francis
1. Taku

Group A:
7. Juliette
6. Oliver
5. Xavier
4. Christian
3. Lawrence
2. Claude
1. Max

Group B:
6. Luke
5. Mia
4. Louie
3. Tess
2. Adrian
1. Rory

I didn't have a record for Jake, but I am pretty sure he raced. (Let me know where you came and I'll amend.)

Next we had a scratch race, and I proved to all the handlers and riders that I can't can't backwards (how embarrassing). Again some good riding. A little bit of an issue with some riders overtaking on the inside (undertaking) – I spoke to them separately, and I think everyone got the message. Let's keep it safe, even if you are racing!

Scratch results:
Group A:
1. Claude
2. Will
3. Juliette

Group B:
1. Max
2. Adrian
3. Tess

Group C:
1. Tom C
2. Taku
3. Liam

VERY IMPORTANT:
The bike storage area has been left in a pretty shabby state over the last two weeks. I mentioned it last week, but I still spent a fair amount of time on Wednesday putting bikes back and making sure they were on the racks. This isn't just club bikes, but includes all bikes in the storage area. The mess does interfere with access to bikes for seniors, and also takes a lot of time for someone to clean up.

Secondly, bikes are being left out without being put away. If you use a bike, please put it away. If you take out a bike, but don't use it, it is still your responsibility to put it away! Last Wednesday night after locking up, Christian (the senior) had to return to the track to put away a junior bike.

So, could everyone please try and put back bikes neatly and tidily into the racks? If you can't get a space, ask a parent, senior, or ask me – I will be around for senior training.

The bikes have recently been audited for repair, and those that are not rideable have been stashed around the corner in the storage area. Please don't use these bikes, or remove items from them.

NJTS - Red and White team members:
Tom Bolton has indicated his interest in racing Melbourne and Adelaide.
Zanzi Hocknell has indicated her interest in racing Melbourne, Adelaide, and possible Launceston if anyone else is going.

Are any of the other Sydney NJTS riders interested in the inter-state meets?

Everyone - Can you help?
DHBC will be hosting a Junior track carnival on November 30th. It will be a Cycling NSW event, and will be open to all clubs. It will also be an excellent opportunity for our juniors to display their stuff. Currently, we are looking for people to help (links to forum post). Please think about it, many hands make light work! Add your name to the list.

Thanks to Lizanne, Alan for running the rollers, and all the parents who handled for the Scratch race.

James

TONIGHT'S SCHEDULE:
5:00-5:30 Bike Setup and rollers warm up
5:30 Pacelines (A - 10 laps, B - 20 laps, C - 25 fast laps)
5:50 Drill #1
Group C - Rollers
Group B - Keirin
Group A - Keirin
6:20 Drill #2
Group A - Match sprints (1.5 laps)
Group B - Match sprints (1.5 laps)
Group C - Match sprints (1.5 laps)
6:40 Venue blaster* (if there is time) - 6 laps
Group A/B/C

Red and White team riders - I'd like to do flying 200s for you all as well.

*A massed start race similar to a scratch race, but held over a shorter distance. The first rider across the finish line is deemed the winner. Depending on entries, heats may be run to determine riders for the final. A maximum of 24 riders will be permitted in the final. Riders roll off from the fence and from the sprinters line.

Return to “Track”