DHBC Juniors Training, News and Statistics 11 & 18 Sep 2013

For all things Velodrome
James Rogers

Postby James Rogers » 23 Sep 2013, 16:15

Hi All,

Here's the better-late-than-never edition of the Juniors training newsletter. I'm sorry for being so tardy, but pretending to be Colin is harder than it looks. It's even harder when you forget to bring the little red folder to work, which holds all the stats.

Because my now well-established goldfish-like memory can't go back two weeks, I'll just say that on September 11 we had a good training night. Auspiciously absent, despite the light and bright spring weather, was the magpie. I know William is disappointed by this, as last year he tended to have the magpie more or less attached to his helmet most laps. Anyway, we had 23 riders and I'm sure we all had fun. I remember the C's being put to work up and down the stairs, not that it was enjoyable watching them suffer. Well, only a bit...

Now, September 18. I printed up the evening's menu with scheduled times for each activity and stuck it up on the post near the gate. I hope this was useful. To my great surprise, we actually almost stayed to schedule – so I must thank everyone for helping make that happen.

After the initial A/B/C pace lines, the groups split up and we had the A's happily getting tortured on the rollers. The B & Cs practised starts, with the added wrinkle of catching the bunch. Some very good starts, but generally everyone needs to concentrate on shifting their weight to get some momentum going at the start. We'll revisit those. After that we had the As back down to do an Italian. Then we paired the B & Cs up for – well – a paired pursuit. The Cs were on the front for the whole 10 laps – rules were that they couldn't drop their pair. Communication was essential. Because we had an odd group of riders, poor Linus was paired with me – considering I was riding up and down dispensing sage advice, he did very well sticking to my quite variable wheel. However, it was a very successful exercise, and everyone did well. There were no dropped riders, some very good communication – a really good team effort. I was told by those not on two wheels that it looked quite spectacular, as well... I guess we'll be doing that one again! Now we need to take some of those skills, and apply them to the actual "real" events.

Additional notes:

National Junior Track Series, CA announced the dates, see http://www.cycling.org.au/?ID=50410. The first round is in Sydney on the 12-13 Oct. and is open to U15 and U17’s. We’d like to know if there is any interest in competing in the other rounds in Melbourne (Nov 23-24), Launceston (Dec 6-7), and Adelaide (Jan 17-18).

We have submitted 2 teams, DHBC Red and White: the red team currently consists Tom B, Zanzi, Sarah, Taku, Bro and the white team consists of Alison, Francis and Ruby. In Colin's absence I'll will be working with the state coordinator.

Thanks to Tom B for looking after the warm up track, and all the parents who helped, particularly Alex, Simon and Stuart, who thrashed those on the rollers, attended to some first aid, and otherwise kept things running!

See you on Wednesday,

James

Return to “Track”