Time to buy wheels

For all things Velodrome
mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 28 Nov 2012, 09:03

I'm looking seriously at getting some new track wheels.

Rear Wheel
I don't see any point in going for anything but a disc wheel. I hear conflicting story's ranging between there been bugger all difference between them to the opposite.
Cost
Someone mentioned that TWE has a disk wheel for $800, haven't checked that out. Mail order there seems to be plenty of options between $900 and $1,500. I don't object to paying more if there's value in that purchase. One that stuck out at me today was an FF one;
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fast-forward-ca ... isc-wheel/
With the current discount, it works out at $840 delivered, so its a cheap option.

Front Wheel
This seems to be a mine field. There are so many options;
- Deep dish conventional spokes
- Solid spoke wheels - 3, 4, 5 spokes
My head hurts working this one out

But wait, there's more
Some disc wheels can be converted between track and road. I also need TT wheels, so I've had passing thoughts about using for both, but it brings up questions about tyres and braking surfaces.

rhys

Postby rhys » 05 Dec 2012, 10:56

I can vouch for the FFWD rear disc. It was cheap, and delivered within two days from Wiggle. I would have got a five spoke front if I could have afforded it at the time. I got the FFWD 90mm front and it's also great. A wheelset that I doubt I'll ever out-skill with my engine.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 05 Dec 2012, 12:18

Those wheels looked awesome

Seems the more I investigate disc wheels, the less there seems to be between them.

Also I hear the TWE disc is the Miche disc

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 05 Dec 2012, 13:33

I don't want to confuse the issue, but did you read this? about Zipps?

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 05 Dec 2012, 17:10

Yes I've read that

I've considered zipps

patn

Postby patn » 05 Dec 2012, 18:28

i dont have a lot of experience with discs... ive ridden a ghibli, mavic and zipp 900. to
be honest couldnt tell the difference between the ghibli and the mavic. felt very spoilt
riding both of them. if found the zipp 900 is floppy in standing starts though. i would think
from reading their webpage that maybe the super 9 would be better on the track, but
geez they look pricey. ive ridden the FFWD front 5 spoke which was really nice, so i
second rhys' good rating of FFWD. i assume the quality of the rear disc is good also. i
know a guy with lots of experience with lots of wheels over a long time who prefers the
FFWD front 5 spoke to the mavic io. maybe thats hyperbole from him, but i guess the point
is the quality is very good at a fraction of the price.

Return to “Track”