DHBC Women's Track Program - Commencing October 13th 2012

For all things Velodrome
JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 03 Oct 2012, 14:07

New Women’s Track program starting October 13th 2012

Last year Jessica Llewellyn organized a very successful Women’s Introduction to the Track program. Since then, we have had a number of requests asking when we might run another one. That moment is now!

The program will be on Saturday afternoons from 3 to 5pm for 8 weeks commencing October 13th.

It will be at the track at Tempe – formally known as Canterbury Velodrome – which is in Bayview Avenue, just over the other side of the Cooks River from Tempe Station.

This will be a structured 8 week progressive program starting with the fundamental basics: riding a fixed wheel bike, riding on the banking, riding in a pace-line, starts and drills, flying 200s plus learning about all the different track racing events and having a go!

The essentials
If you don’t have a bike, don’t worry the club can lend you one.
• Wear normal cycling gear.
• Bring a helmet.
• If you have pedals and cycling shoes – please bring them.
• You must have a licence from Cycling Australia. It doesn’t have to be a racing licence, just your normal DHBC one.
• Also bring water and a snack.
• There is a $5 track fee per session.

Never fear, the program will run rain, hail and shine.

There is also women's roller training on Wednesday nights from 7 - 8pm to assist in the integration of women to the track itself. This is great training and skill development.

If you have any questions please post them here and we will do our best to answer them.

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 11 Oct 2012, 20:04

Hi ladies,
Just a reminder that this Saturday is the first session.
See you there at 3pm!
Jessica

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 12 Oct 2012, 07:21

hey Jess, i'm helping out with the street fair @ WOOP on saturday. fixie century next, but for sure i'll be at the others!

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 12 Oct 2012, 18:22

Hi All,
Just one more thing, the session will still be on: rain, hail or shine :)
Jessica

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 13 Oct 2012, 17:35

Hi All,

Glorious weather for a fantastic start to the program. We had 5 riders all learning the basics of the bikes and having their first whirls around the velodrome.

Just to let you know that I will be away next week, so training will be off until the following Saturday, October 27th.
Also there are plenty more bikes to anyone else who would like to come and join in.

A big thanks to Christian for being our official mechanic!

Don't forget Wednesday roller training from 7-8pm.

See you then,
Jessica

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 24 Oct 2012, 21:07

Hi Ladies,

Just a reminder that we will be resuming the track program this Saturday. Looking forward to another fun afternoon.

Don't forget it will be on rain, hail or shine!

See you then,
Jessica

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 29 Oct 2012, 09:35

Hi All,

Another fantastic afternoon of cycling and more brilliant weather too!
This week we worked on pace lines and how to do revolving pace lines as well. Everyone is really building their skills and confidence on the track and it's great to see everyone putting in a lot of effort and trying out new things. Everyone had a go on the rollers too, with some even daring to let go of the fence.

This coming Saturday, the velodrome is already hired out, so I have re-booked it for Sunday instead from 3 to 5pm. I hope this suits everyone. I will ask Jo Skinner to send everyone an email to make sure we don't miss anyone.

Don't worry if you haven't had a chance to make it along yet, there is still plenty of weeks left plus bikes available if you don't have one.

Looking forward to seeing you all again on Sunday, and don't forget Wednesday night from 7 to 8pm!

Jessica

scully

Postby scully » 29 Oct 2012, 15:34

hmmm sunday will come on the way back from the gong- may be late depending on how much value we get out of the ride :D

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 29 Oct 2012, 20:17

Oh far out! Gong ride on Sunday!
Come along anyway if you can. Darn the touch footy for booking out the track all day Saturday. Such a busy time of year!

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 05 Nov 2012, 08:06

Hi All,

Sunday was amazing! Amazing weather and 10 riders, what more could we ask for?
We all started with a warm up on the rollers before heading out on to the track, followed by pace lines then learning how to do a standing start. Many people had never tried these before with a few having their first go riding in the drops (the lower part of the handle bars). Everyone completed some great times and we can compare these in a few weeks time.

Thanks to all who came and made it a great afternoon, and to all the girls for showing the ladies how it's done! A special congratulations to Lynn for completing the Gong ride and for hugging baby Aoife. Thanks to Colin for EVERYTHING.

See you all next Saturday, 3 - 5. It will be on rain, hail or shine.
Don't forget roller training on Wednesday night from 7 to 8.

Jessica

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 14 Nov 2012, 08:17

Hi All,

Thanks to all those who came along on Saturday, we had another 10 fabulous riders in perfect weather. Thanks also to the magpie who made it's Saturday début for the year, and well done to the riders for not being scared off by it either!

This week we all started on the rollers, followed by rolling pacelines. After this we did some whistle sprints where everyone had a go at manoeuvring up and down the banking. Everyone did a fantastic job! The last drill of the day was an Italian pursuit. We divided the riders into 2 teams and timed their efforts. The winning team won by only 3 seconds! It was great riding by everyone and excellent team work too, as this is an event that communication and team work are pivotal to success.

Looking forward to seeing you all on Saturday, 3 - 5pm. Rain, hail or shine.
Don't forget roller training tonight from 7 to 8.

Jessica

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 18 Nov 2012, 12:13

Hi All,

Another fabulous Saturday at the velodrome. Including myself we had 11 riders.

Everyone jumped on the rollers prior to heading out onto the track. We all did some starts from the 200 metre line followed by a 2 row paceline lead by Colin and myself. The paceline increased by 1 km/ph until we hit 42 ks and there was no-one left behind us. A great effort by all.
The last drill for the day was to "catch the bunch". The bunch rode around the top of the banking nice and slowly and each lap I called out 1 rider to take a lap on the bunch. Almost everyone managed to take a lap and young Caitlin hit a new top speed in her efforts!

Great riding everyone and looking forward to seeing you all next Saturday. Good luck to the juniors racing next Saturday too! Don't forget Wednesday roller training from 7 - 8pm.

Jessica

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 26 Nov 2012, 11:31

Hi All,

This Saturday was another fantastic turn-out, especially considering the heat.
We started out with rollers, followed by starts. Just a quick note on the starts: make sure you give 100% effort from start to finish. When you have slowed down enough, roll around below the blue line to warm down.
Following this we did a 20 lap scratch race. This was fantastic as we quickly saw 2 groups develop and work together. Everyone did really well and I could see that we all learnt a lot from this.
Finally we all did a timed flying 200.

A special thanks to our lap counting assistants/ bell ringers/ scriber's and timers. Who ever has my pen, stop watch and book if you can please bring it along next week that would be wonderful.

A quick safety note: If you are wearing straps and shoes, make sure the straps are really tight. If it so happens that your foot comes out just slow it down if you can and go back to the warm-up track and re-strap your foot back in before heading out. Way to dangerous to try and catch your pedal. The same thing goes for if you come unclipped from your pedal.

***Track bike for sale: A lovely track bike is for sale. It is a size 52cm. It is a fondriest frame with dura-ace crank set and look pedals. I have photos and more specs if you're interested. It is painted black and is $500. I can also bring it along to the track for you to try it out. It would most likely fit the following ladies: Allison, Svetlana, Juliet and anyone else around this height. And it even has a ladies saddle on it!!

Looking forward to seeing you all next week.
Wednesday roller (or stationary trainer) training is from 7 to 8pm, you gain important technique and fitness, plus tunes and chatter :) Come along and give it a try!

Jessica

Apologies: Sorry I had to make an early exit - screaming unsettled baby disaster.

pia

Postby pia » 26 Nov 2012, 19:24

I was sorry to miss coming to the track last Saturday Jess! Glad you had a nice class.

The black beauty sounds like a gem. If only it was 2 cm smaller....

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 02 Dec 2012, 19:24

Hi All,

Well that was some of the hottest weather I have ever ridden in on Saturday, and as such 2 tyres bust. Luckily no one was riding at the time! I actually wasn't sure if anyone would show, but we still have excellent numbers regardless - thanks everyone :)

Amazing riding from everyone! I could not believe how fast and confident everyone is fast becoming on the track. I would encourage all to consider joining in at regular training on Mondays and Wednesdays. Let me know if you are coming so I will make sure I am there (/get baby sitting).

This week we started off with rollers, followed by starts of the fence which you all did really well.
Lastly we did a 20 lap points race, sprinting every 5th lap. So counting back from 20 laps we sprinted at 16/ 11/ 6 and 1. Well done to Svetlana for lapping the field and taking the overall victory. Congratulations to all who continued on even though the pace was high and the heat was searing, and I congratulate Pia for the biggest tactical improvement over the race duration. And legend points to young Darani for being the sole junior and still keeping up with the pace.

Next week we have the motor bike booked for the session. I am really looking forward to this. I hope you can all make it as it is a great experience. You really learn what a difference is makes when you are protected from the wind.

Hope to see you all at roller training on Wednesday, if not, see you Saturday!

Jessica

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 02 Dec 2012, 19:27

Oh, and I forgot to say, thank you to all our helpers!!! To the fabulous lap-board turners Stuart and Kevin, and a huge thanks to Colin and Caitlin for coming down even though they weren't riding and dealing with all the mechanical stuffs.

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 07 Dec 2012, 19:18

Hi All,

Just a reminder that this Saturday (tomorrow) is the last week of the program for the year, hopefully we will get it up and running again in the new year. We have been fortunate to have Alex Chubb to be riding the motor bike for us tomorrow and Lindsay Monks will be coming along too as our mechanic and also to impart his wise words.

Wednesday night roller training will continue from 7 to 8pm.

Monday and Wednesday night training is available for you all to join in on. I will be attending Monday night training once a month, starting Monday December 17th. You are all welcome to come along with me. There aren't usually many women attending so it would be great to have you there too. Gates open at 6:30 for a 7pm start. It usually is all wrapped up around 8:30.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to do next session, or other training you would like to attend in the mean time. I would encourage all of you to continue with your new found skills. It has been amazing to see these skills develop every week and I hope to see you on the track in the future.

See you all soon,
Jessica

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 08 Dec 2012, 19:02

Hi All,

What a great way to wrap up the program! We had 9 riders even though a few were away. We have had great numbers consistently which is very encouraging when considering running the program again in the new year.

This week we had the opportunity of having the motorbike. Each person did 5 laps behind the motorbike and then sprinted around on the 5th lap to beat the bike across the line. Everyone put in a huge effort which was great to see.

Following this we separated everyone in to 2 groups and did a 20 motor pace. Each lap the motorbike increased in speed until there was only one rider remaining. Kudos to Allison for staying on till the end and working hard!!

A big thanks to all our helpers: Bob, Stuart, Kevin, Colin, Peter, Lindsay, Christian and Alex.

Wednesday roller training is still on from 7 till 8pm. Also there will be women's track training on Monday December 17th. Be there and ready for 7pm.

See you all soon!
Jessica

Juliet

Postby Juliet » 09 Dec 2012, 19:08

Many thanks, Jessica and DHBC, for the opportunity to participate in the Women's Track Program.
It was very well organised, fun and I learnt heaps. Thank you also to all the helpers and my fellow
trackies for making it such a smooth-running and enjoyable experience. I'm looking forward to
continuing next year...Juliet

scully

Postby scully » 12 Dec 2012, 19:22

Sorry I couldn't make it tonight with the tunes. Will try and go Monday if not too tired after work.

Sophie

Postby Sophie » 08 Jan 2013, 08:56

Please join me up for the women's track programme starting in Feb, Jess. The last one was absolutely fabulous, I especially enjoyed the motorcycle drill! Thanks again to you and other helpers who made this programme possible. I don't know if I can ever make it to that special oft-requested level of riding hard till I puke ... :)

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 08 Jan 2013, 18:02

Hey Sophie, you are on the forum, yay!! Speaking of which, I rode last night and almost saw stars. It was awesome fun!!!

myong123

Postby myong123 » 16 Jun 2013, 13:22

hi
Was wondering is this training still happening on Saturday afternoons?

scully

Postby scully » 16 Jun 2013, 14:28

Yes, it is. Come down!
We usually have around 12 riders with a wide range of ages and skills.
PM Rainbow for more info AKA Jessica

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 16 Jun 2013, 20:41

Hi there,
Training is on as usual, 3 - 5pm Saturdays at the infamous Tempe Velodrome. Please note training is on even if it's raining.
Jessica

Return to “Track”