DHBC Juniors Training, News and Statistics 26 Sep 2012

For all things Velodrome
James Rogers

Postby James Rogers » 01 Oct 2012, 12:37

Here is the very brief, better-late-than-never Juniors track news etc.

Apologies for the late update. I'm continuing form, having turned up late to training (forgive me, I work in Lane Cove, which is somewhere near the Queensland border).

I did miss most of the magpie action. However, wasn't too late to note that Broughton was fashioning the classic cable-tie anti-attack system. Rohan also managed to debunk the myth that the maggie goes for red clothes/hair – as his chartreuse jersey, blue helmet and blonde hair did nothing to discourage the attentions of our feathered friend. William pointed out that his helmet was magpie proof, a peppering of beak-punctures clearly visible under the flickering training lights.

12 Juniors for the first week of holidays. Everyone turning up eager and early.

First up was a pace line, with Tom, Alison, Tess, Bro, Rohan and Ruby counting up 15 laps; while Caitlin, Mia, Will, Melina and Adrien hit out for 12 laps. The same groups also worked on lead-outs with Tom on the front for his group, and John (Bro's dad) leading out the second group.

I took Caitlin, Mia, Will, Melina, Adrien and Claude for some starting and stopping on the fence work. Caitlin executed some textbook stops, gliding smoothly to the fence. Everyone else did very well, and special mention to Will for improving on a previously perilous angle of approach towards the fence, to a much more refined finish. We also did a slow-race, with some exceptional bike handling skills being displayed. Adrien managing the slowest time (no track stands, and straight line forward), just shy of 2 minutes around the warm-up track.

For the others, there was a 6 lap scratch race, and reading from Colin's notes, were somewhat ordered like this: 1. Bro; 2. Rohan; 3. Tess; 4. Alison; 5. Tom; 6. Ruby.

It was about this time that Lizanne appeared with her new hot pink bike. It had most of us rubbing our retina-scorched eyes. I'm still having problems seeing clearly.

But not to be distracted, Colin's group did a 230m and 250m TT, with Rohan belting out a 25.02s and 27.44s respectively. Tess showed some fine form as well, with a 27.2s and a 29.33s.

Lastly was the "motor pace" with Tom taking the place of Lizanne, and ably ripping around the track. Obviously those cable ties must have been tested in a wind-tunnel, because Bro smashed his previous pace record, spinning out at 48km/h* behind Tom. Blistering!

*Bro told me 47km/h, but Colin contends 48km/h. Colin wins. Many thanks to Tom Bolton, too.

Training will be on again this Wednesday at 5:30pm. Colin will be away on his floating banana lounge, sipping pineapple smoothies, so I'll be doing my best Colin impression.

James

Return to “Track”