DHBC Juniors Training, News and Statistics 5 Sep 2012

For all things Velodrome
colin

Postby colin » 07 Sep 2012, 11:47

Hi All,

Another huge turnout, about 18 riders. One week off and I was all confused and did get everyone from the sign on sheet.

Welcome to Luca from LACC

Lizanne and James worked on the warm up track with Adrien, Luca, Melina, Zack, Claude, Ruby, Louis and more! We had 8 riders sharing the smaller bikes

James' report for the warm up track
- 2 x warm up laps for each rider.

- First practice rotations were done walking in a long line with no bikes. Everyone got to rehearse together and most people got the idea, except for a few who accidentally walked backwards... Luca told everyone about how he broke his arm once by accidentally clipping a wheel – that certainly helped focus attention (including the coaches!), and reinforce the idea of keeping a careful distance between wheels.

- Then everybody got a go to do a 2 person pace-line! Everyone did very well, with some really careful bike handling. All rotations off the front were pretty clean, and not too wide (movement was restricted to no-higher than the red line!). Good safe work by everyone.

- Sprints were done with a 5 second delay for the second starter. Some very close heats, everyone keen to do more at the end, but unfortunately out of time and out of bikes!
On the main track after individual warm ups, it was straight into the paceline drill, split into two groups, for 12 lap. Broughton on his new Fuji classic getting it fitting just right.

Next, Lead-outs. Three groups of three. For a drill the guys take this as seriously and go for it. The first group, Taku, Broughton and Francis, finished in that order for both rounds. Taku taking a quarter lap lead on the second round. The second group Tess, Alison and Rohan, extremely close finish on the first round with Alison just ahead of Tess and then Rohan, only a half bike length in it from first to last. Their second round Rohan got the better of the girls but still a close finish. The third group Dexter, Toby and Darani. The cry’s joy from Toby on his two wins, followed by Dexter and Darani in both rounds.

Next, a 4 lap handicap race. I tried to work the handicaps but got some wrong and some of the riders missed the bell lap so thought they had 1 more to go. Caitlin first, she is my daughter, Broughton made up loads of ground, starting second last and finishing second, Rohan a good third and Taku making fourth being the last to start. A good effort by all, I’ll try and sort the handicaping better next time.

Next, the group from the warm up track with a 1 lap time trial. Fist Adrien v Luca, Melina v Zack and finally Zack v Claude. All time were very close and great to see them on the main track putting in full effort.

Lastly, Motorpace or as James called it, Lizanne-pace. As we were short on time we started at 26kph for 5 laps then upped the pace 1kph per ½ lap. Tess and Darani were the first to drop off the back, then Alison and Rohan. Broughton dropped his chain and after a quick repair dropped back into the train like a pro, slotting in between Taku and Francis. Francis dropped off at 38kph and Lizanne gave up with Taku and Broughton still on her wheel at 41kph. The head wind on the back straight got the better of Lizanne.

• News/Racing

I’ve entered Tom Bolton, Taku Rogers and Broughton Caley into the National Junior Track Series. We will be in a combined group with another club to be decided by the state coordinator.

Junior Development is on Next Friday at Dunc Gray. If you are interested in going, we can arrange a loan bike to take home next Wednesday.

• Please prompt for a 6pm start
• Senior warm up will be stopped for about 10 minutes at 6:15pm
• First Junior demonstration event will be at 7:02pm

$5 entry (paid by parent)
$5 prize for one lap PB (if first time a TT is done in warm up, then the PB can be broken in the race) paid to the Junior!
race licenses are needed

Junior rollout distances.

There has been a lot of discussion about this and as some rider are going up an age group on 1 Oct. on the news letter, find attach, a gear chart to help, this assumes a standard 700x23c wheel and type combo.

New this year is the increased rollout for U17, from 6.5m to 7.0m.

Junior track Bike.

I’ve started the thread http://www.dhbc.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3289 one bike so far. If you find a bike or have one for sale please post for all to see.

Thanks to Lizanne and James

Till next week

Colin

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 07 Sep 2012, 11:56

*edit

the jr's are getting really fast, and yes i was cracked. the wind is a convenient excuse. the final speed was 44km/h coming out of the last cnr. I looked behind, Taku and Broughton were glued to my wheel... i couldn't do another one

Return to “Track”