DHBC Juniors News & Training 14 December 2011

For all things Velodrome
michellebrown

Postby michellebrown » 15 Dec 2011, 16:16

Hi Everyone,
Sorry the newsletter's been a bit intermittent lately - I only have the weather to blame. There's lots of news this week though. Had a great training session yesterday, with a few milestones to report. We held the annual "beat the coach" session, and I'm pleased to report, the coach was beaten comprehensively in every race - handicap or no... must train harder. Yummy prizes next week for every rider who beat me to the line. 2 Lap sprint wins to Pat and Tess. Gold medals of courage to Alison, Tess and Mia Wallace, who braved the highest parts of the track for the first time. :P Well done to Pat Stannard who showed his speed and potential - Zeke Llewellyn and Taku Rogers pulled out the stops as usual and all riders put in some great starts.

Future training
It looks like there'll be enough riders to train next Wednesday the 21st of December - even if it's just a few riders we can make good use of the track to try some new events. We'll aim to start back on the 4th of January, but I'll confirm that date in a future news letter. I'll be away from training on the 18th and 25th of January. James Rogers has agreed to deputise, hopefully with the help of Caitlin's dad Collin Williamson .

Success! :mrgreen:
Our top junior riders have done us proud recently in events at Dunc Gray Velodrome. Chris Hageman, Bill and Tom Bolton had great success at the Clarence Street Cup events on Saturday the 3rd of December. Chris Hageman finished 4th and Bill Bolton 12th in JM 17 Wheel Race final. Chris finished 2nd and Bill 3rd in the Scratch Race Repechage. Chris finished 2nd and Bill 5th in the Miss & Out. Chris won the JM 17 Div 2 lightning Handicap Bill taking silver. Tom Bolton finished 5th in the JM15 Scratch. 5th out of 17 in the CSC Wheel Race but best of all was 1st in the Combined Scratch Race and 2nd in the Miss and Out. When you see some of the "gun" riders they were competing against, it makes the results even more impressive. Our adult riders also made a strong showing with some podium finishes. Find the full results at the link below:

http://www.nsw.cycling.org.au/default.asp?Page=44828

Given the humble beginnings DHBC Juniors has grown from, it's a matter of great pride to see our young riders making their mark in competition. Thanks to everyone that's helped them along the way - the parents, Phil Kelly, Arthur, Lizanne, Jo Troutman, David Wilmot and the club members who've taken an increasing interest of late in their training - it's given them great encouragement. When I look into my crystal ball I see even more success in the future. The lads have entered several more events in January and beyond. You can see who's entered what on the Cycling NSW entries calendar. Why not get along and cheer for them if you can?

Cycling for Communities
One of our young riders is involved in the Antipodeans Abroad aid program. On Sunday Bill Bolton completed a 100km sponsored ride to Katoomba for the cause. In September 2012 he'll travel to India with other teenagers to work on an aid project of lasting value for a developing community. The money subsidies the trip and helps pay for the projects - which include things like building and painting school rooms. Massive effort Bill - what a worthy and inspirational thing to do. It's not too late to sponsor Bill. Drop him a line at: donsimon25@gmail.com Or see him at Velo Training on Monday and Wednesday nights.

Thankyou
Due to circumstances beyond my control I missed the Christmas Party, but I am humbled by being awarded the Club Champions Trophy (clearly not for my racing prowess!) Thankyou to all concerned - it is truly a great honour.

Next Year
I'll be looking to hand over the job of DHBC Juniors Organiser next year, and encouragingly (is that even a word?), have received some expressions of interest from a couple of likely successors. I'm committed to sticking around as long as it takes to make the transition smooth, and I enjoy working with the Juniors so much, am planning to keep my hand in for some time to come. Next year we need to elect a new Club Captain - Hugo Venville having done a terrific job thus far, and set the course for the Junior Club in 2012-13. I look forward to meeting you and hearing your ideas in the New Year.

Christmas Cheer :D
If I don't see you before have a terrific Christmas and New Year. Thanks to the Kapruziaks, Lewellyns, Boltons and Wallaces for their thoughtful gifts. Take care and...

till next time,
Keep Rolling!

Michelle Brown
DHBC Juniors
0412 442 550

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 15 Dec 2011, 17:45

Hey Michelle,

What a great job you have done with the juniors - outstanding! To think we had no juniors competing at all a year or so ago, and just to see how strong some of them went in the Clarence St cup was amazing. It will be a shame to see you go, but I can see there is a lot of demands on your time. Congratulation's on the Club Champions Trophy - Christian really picked the absolute best candidate for that one !! Thanks for the heads up on Bill, I will be sponsoring that too. What a great cause.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 16 Dec 2011, 19:29

I agree with Jo - congratulations on the trophy Michelle and thanks for continuing a top job with the juniors. Their success is your success!

Return to “Track”