Unanderra 2007

For all things Velodrome
Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 28 Oct 2007, 00:18

Brief results, Grant got a third in the opening scratch race. I also took a third in my scratch race behind Brownie. I won my heat of the wheel race & took fourth in the final.... Good night all round! Plus we met the man who posts as fixed gear & will be joining us on the century ride...

[/url]

lindsay

Postby lindsay » 28 Oct 2007, 11:36

Here's some more photos of the action

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 29 Oct 2007, 08:59

Full report-

Unanderra is the opening round of the opens season for the track season. It is a very popular event because of its proximity to Sydney and locals are very friendly. Not to mention very generous when it comes to prize money. Wollongong velodrome is a flat track of 270ms with banking which is steep enough to call it a velodrome but fl;at enough to be very comfortable for first timers. It has the infamous speed hump in the third corner if you o up the banking and a slight uphill in the mainstraight and down hill in the back straight.

Originally we all arrived early in anticipation to watch the youngsters do battle in the juniors carnival. But as luck would have Llewellyn will have to waite for another time to make his opens debut. His dad however did still make the effort to come down and support the boys accompanied by Lindsay.

In the seniors carnival it was to be a three pronged attack for DHBC. Myself in B grade with Grant and Tim in C grade. Our marks for the wheel race were; I was off 100ms, Mr Bond was off 210m and Tim was lucky enough to score a 240m head start. Off scratch was recently crowned junior world champion and professional rider for Drapac Porche, Tommy Palmer. Whilst other notable entries included the rest of the Canberra squad comprising of Joel Stewart & comprehensive winner of the Bici sport open last year, Mathew Miesel-Dennis.

In the opening scratch race there was a lot of nervous energy and a bit of tension. Grant rode a fantastic race to take a third place. He stayed up the front of the field in about third wheel for most of the race. When the moves came round the outside, he marked them well. & whilst he is not known to be a sprinter he was able to hold solid positioning and in the process pick up a third. Tim rode valiantly from the back too but was very quickly to learn that true to reputation races cannot be won from the back, this was particularly true of this track. For some reason passing maneuvers were made very difficult with the banking, even though there wasn't much of it. It could of been the angles of the corners and the need to lean into them. I overshot the second corner more times than I can remember during the night.

In my opening scratch race, I was very happy to be put in the same grade as my good mates from tempe, Brownie and Stewie. It became evident very quickly that we had the ability to dominate this grade with a first and third in this race. I lead out with about two laps to go. I think I wound up about three times and people kept swinging up in front of me before I was actually able to get off the front. Brownie grabbed my wheel & rolled me on the line, taking another bloke with him. I was absolutely suffering by that stage, so better Brownie than someone else.

Well I thought my night was over after the first race I was dying a thousand deaths. In the eighth photo from the top you can see a photo of me smahed on the ground. I was ready to throw up at this point my head was spinning and my legs felt like lead weights. Not to good for a first race! THe next event was the sprint derby heats. I used mine to recover whilst Tim got outmaneuvered to get caught at the back and Grant was also feeling the opening race in his legs. Brownie won his heat and took second in the final of this event but was to pay the price in the next event failing to make the wheel race final.

In the wheel race heats I was first up of the DHBC boys in the second heat. I had a plan, I knew which wheel to grab if I was going to get
through to the final. I must say a big thank you to Lindsay for pushing me, he did a great job. Stewie started ten metres in front of me & it took about a lap to get onto his wheel. We formed a good working group of four very quickly, the race was for six laps, just over 1.5kms. I was very nervous and a bit figety so with about two to go I was at the front and looked around to see the whole field on my tail. So I thought that I didn't want to have to compete with the scratchies in a drag race and there is aways a chance of getting boxed in, so I hit and hit it hard as it turns out. coming into the final lap I had Lindsay yelling "YOU'VE GOT IT," I thought that this meant I only had five left on my wheel and I had done enough to make the final. But actually I had dropped the entire field. I won the heat by about four bike lenghts and had time to sit up and wave to the crowd as I crossed the finish line.

Into the final, there was a ten minute warm up, which for me was a warm down from the heat. Whilst awaiting the start I had Lindsay say to me in my ears 'You can win it you know' & I simply responded; 'Yeah I know.' The final played out much like the heat with a group of four forming quickly. We were all middle markers & the scratchies didn't have a chance of catching us. I was in an ideal spot for the win in third wheel coming into the final lap. I tried kicking in the first corner but I didn't have the strength left. But I wanted the win so rather than giving up I tried again in the second corner, this time however I missed judged the corner badly, like I'd done all night and well entruelly over shot the corner. I actually nearly hit the fence. But I jumped back on the back and took fourth place. The boys were a bit disappointed that I gave up third spot. But to me I went down there to win, not to be runner up. So I would rather walk away and say I came fourth giving it my best shot than to have intentionally come third with not attempt to win.

In the last two races of the night, we didn't perform to well. My legs were shot and I missed out first in the missing out. Whilst Tim did the same, Grant did a bit better but nothing too spectacular from what I can remember. I wasn't eligible for the last mystery scratch race as I had placed in an earlier scrtach race and Tim made valiant attempt to go off the front in case the bell rung early but no such luck. Stewie waited in the field and took the sprint with some very good timing.

Overall it was a very enjoyable night of racing. I had my most successful night of racing to date, whilst Grant was very pleased with his third place and the fact that he almost recovered his entry fee in prize money. I must admit I made a good profit out of the night. Tim had a lot of fun and has found points he needs to work on. I must also mention our friend Amy from the states, she had her first opens experience and as all new riders do, she was instantly addicted and has signed up for Muswellbrook. So until next time this concludes Simon' tales from the track.
Last edited by Simon Llewellyn on 29 Oct 2007, 16:25, edited 1 time in total.

Grant Bond

Postby Grant Bond » 29 Oct 2007, 09:02

Great Event...Great Shots Lindsay and Kevin;

I just wanted to say what an impressive ride that was by Simon in his wheelrace heat. He really hit out hard and made his attack count...a lesson there for everybody and a well deseved 4th in the final.

As for my third i am still totally buzzing after that result...I put myself through some holes in that race that i normally wouldnt have gone through ...I scared myself a lot...but it made me realise that sometimes on the track you just have to go with it, ride agressively without being stupid and trust your instincts and bike handling. In the zone in that race i felt totally alive..confident focused and in the moment...the rush didn't stop until 3am. Is track racing the perfect drug?

Tim also had a good carinval. He worked hard in the sprint in a tough heat with three Illawarra riders. He made me work really hard to make up the 30m in the wheelrace heats, and he says he has no endurance....bullshit...the scratiches ony passed us with 150 to go! Cant wait to see his kilo time later in the season...i recon he will be flying!

Thanks to Lindsay, Brad , Lionel , Gill, Kevin and everybody associated with "team tempe" for the cheers , driving and support.

One dissapointment for the night...I was that busy racing that i missed out on a sausage sandwich...still with post race KFC i felt like a real trackie.

Cheers

Grant Bond

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 29 Oct 2007, 16:23

......track reports are now on the track page....

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 29 Oct 2007, 20:40

Wow, great night. Congratulations all.

Reading Grant's description, I can't but help think of the movie When Harry Met Sally. All I can say is, "I'm having what he's having"!

Great shots. Would be great for 2 of these to go up as signature shots. The one of Grant and Simon riding side by side, and the blurry one are classics.

Don't worry about the photo of Simon's nicks. I figure that's gunna make it up on all sorts of other sites on the internet!

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 29 Oct 2007, 22:27

Great results guys, sounds like an exciting time on the track, hopefully i'll have time to get to an open one day.

Grant Bond

Postby Grant Bond » 30 Oct 2007, 12:34

[quote="geoff m"]All I can say is, "I'm having what he's having"!

quote] .

Does that mean we are going to see you and the tin lids down at Tempe sometime soon Geoff?

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 30 Oct 2007, 21:41

Hhhhmmmm,

tempting...

but you are gonna have to do better than that to convince me.

Grant Bond

Postby Grant Bond » 31 Oct 2007, 08:10

Ill work on a better flurry of prose after the Tempe open.

Return to “Track”