DHBC Juniors Training Statistics & News 5th October 2011

For all things Velodrome
michellebrown

Postby michellebrown » 07 Oct 2011, 15:36

Hi Everyone,

We had a fantastic training session Wednesday night. We missed the older riders who were taking a break, but it really gave the younger juniors a chance to test their stuff. The evening produced some exciting training races. Francis Teow and Taku Rogers took each other on in a four race sprint series. The more experienced Francis took first in three out of four starts, but Taku was certainly breathing down his neck the whole time. With just 0:19 of a second separating them in the 133-metre time trial, we can expect more thrilling finishes from these U11 riders in the future!

We had some great races too with the youngest juniors Zeke Lewellyn, Caitlin Williamson, Tess and Mia Wallace. Tess is proving hard to beat and is certainly a rider to watch, taking out fastest 1 Lap time trial at 1:25 and a 2 Lap sprint handicap. Big efforts too from Zeke and Caitlin for terrific 2nd places, and Mia who won the 2nd and 4th sprints. A big gold bravery medal for Caitlin :D for recovering quickly from a fall as she steamed home in pursuit of Tess in the 2 lap match sprint. The handicapping left something to be desired, but the handicapper has promised to lift her game! All the times and results have been emailed for your records. If you'd like to be added to the list, drop me a line.

Thanks
Of course the session wouldn't have been so successful without all the help from the parents Jenny and Rob, Peter, Collin and James, not to mention sundry siblings (& magpie chasers). :mrgreen:

Welcomes
Before the session we played host to some new juniors. A big welcome to the riders and accompanying parents from the Randwick-Botany Club, they certainly seemed bitten by the track cycling bug by the end of the session and we hope to see them again at a junior training soon! Junior Training is held on Wednesdays from 5:30pm. Licenced junior riders are welcomed. Please sign the attendance book and pay $5 per rider which cover the cost of using the track and equipment including rollers. Randwick-Botany has also invited us to participate in junior racing at their club. If you're licenced to race and want to compete, you can find details at: http://www.randwickbotanycc.com/

DHBC Junior Track Racing
As I write our older junior riders (young veterans?) are competing in the first meet of the National Junior Track Series at Dunc Gray Velodrome. I expect results will be posted on the Cycling NSW website http://www.nsw.cycling.org.au and I'll include them in the next newsletter for sure. Big clanking gold medals for our Junior 15-17 men's team Alexander, Bill, Tom and Chris and thanks to Captian Hugo Venville for advice and support. A number of the riders are in the process of being assessed for high performance sprint training - I'll keep you posted on developments there.

Feedback & Sundries
At DHBC Juniors we try to make training and racing fun, safe and challenging, if you have any suggestions for improvements, don't hesitate to speak up. Lovely to see Lindsay Munks at Juniors Training again, many of you may not know what a pivotal role Lindsay has played and continues to play in the Club. It's down to him that we have most of the loan bikes that have been so helpful to new juniors getting a start at the track - thanks Lindsay! :P

That's all for now,
till next time, keep rolling,
Michelle Brown
DHBC Juniors
0412 442 550

Return to “Track”