DHBC Juniors Training Stats & News 11 May 2011

For all things Velodrome
michellebrown

Postby michellebrown » 12 May 2011, 14:46

STOP PRESS
Clarence Street Cyclery is having a sale and there are many smaller size (and women's) clothing items and shoes going out the door some for as little as $10. Could be just what you're looking for at a fraction of the price you thought you'd have to pay!

http://www.cyclery.com.au/category.asp? ... page_id=30

Hi Everyone,
Clanking gold medals :mrgreen: to the eight brave souls (and their parents!) who turned out for training despite the snow-cold temperatures. Hope noone caught a chill. In an effort to keep everyone warm, we tried to keep moving most of the time - so all-in-all it was a pretty full-on session. Special mention for the riders in the 3 Lap (Handicapped) scratch race won by Thomas Cornish - for a thrilling and close finish. Most riders got practice at two standing starts as well. Results and times have been emailed as usual. Good luck to U13 Champion Thomas Cornish who's got some big comps coming up.

Equipment
It pays to know your bike. To calculate your gearing ratio, count the teeth on your chain-ring and rear cog, then compare the chart which has been emailed to you. The restrictions for the different age groups are included at the bottom. Alternatively you can use a tape measure to get the distance it takes for the crank to roll from 6-o'clock to 6-o'clock. Each session you should check over your bike and helmet quickly for basic safety. Check:
tyre pressure & tread
screws and bolts (tightened)
seat height & position
pedals (clips/cleats/tension)
helmet (firmly fitted over your forehead,straps fork just below your ears)
chain (some slack, but not too loose)

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions about how to maintain your bike, or need help to make adjustments.

Road Training
The more you ride the better you get. Don't forget what all good track riders know that it's good to build from a solid road riding fitness base. Juniors may like to take part in the Saturday Slowies Ride from the corner of Marrickville & Illawarra Road from 6.30am. The ride goes through Newtown and Redfern to Centennial Park for about an hour's training at your own pace, then returns to Marrickville Road for breakfast and a chat. Young juniors need to be accompanied by a parent or guardian, but it's a gentle ride and everyone is looked after. If you have noone to accompany you, but would still like to ride, give me some notice and I can supervise you. For safety reasons, juniors are not allowed to ride in the front right-hand or rear right-hand positions on any club rides.

The older more experienced juniors can also participate in the Waterfall bunch rides on Sundays (be ready to leave by 6.20am). You will need me or a parent to accompany you if it's your first ride. The bunches are graded on average speed (C25, C28, C30 etc.) and it's about an 80km round trip, so you need to be realistic about what you can manage. Here's the link you need for more info:

http://www.dhbc.org.au/index.php?pr=Road

Road Racing
I'd be great if sometime again soon, DHBC Juniors visited the criterium racing run by our friends from Southern Cross, at Sutherland Oval on Sunday mornings. It's over to you to let me know if you're interested so it can be arranged. They have lots of juniors there and it's a well maintained, closed track, making it a good place to start racing. You will have to have a racing licence to compete. It is easy to upgrade your "ride for all" licence to a racing licence, by paying the fee difference on the Cycling Australia website. Here's a link for more information about the race:

http://www.southerncrosscc.com.au/index ... &Itemid=57

If you want to know what's out there for junior road and track riders on the racing circuit, visit the Cycling NSW website:

http://www.nsw.cycling.org.au/cy_nsw/ca ... lendar.htm

Housekeeping & Hello
Welcome to our newest potential member Oscar - we hope to see you again soon. I'll be taking training again next week, as Phil Kelly is still on leave. Let me know if you want to practice any events in particular. Thanks again for being part of it all and supporting cycling in general. We'd love to see some old faces we haven't seen for a while, again some time soon!

Till next time,
Keep Rolling,
Michelle Brown
DHBC Juniors
0412 442 550

Remeber ever hour on a bike is an hour away from a screen!

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 12 May 2011, 17:50

As usual Michelle, a great report and a great job. The Juniors are the future of DHBC ...

rhys

Postby rhys » 12 May 2011, 21:17

It would be great if someone knew the rest of us well enough and did a report up like this. Always enjoy reading them.

timyone

Postby timyone » 12 May 2011, 23:32

lol! i probably could! i dont know if we always do the right activities

timyone

Postby timyone » 12 May 2011, 23:32

i thought about it talking about lead outs lately!!

rhys

Postby rhys » 13 May 2011, 09:16

It would be all about Alex lately!

timyone

Postby timyone » 13 May 2011, 13:12

yeah hes improved! i was really impressed with your lead outs on wednesday night though! Your slightly more expected to get there though than he was (note: was, as we now expect big things!)
Every ones been killing it in the lead outs lately! they have been so good!!!

Return to “Track”