DHBC Training & News 23 March 2011

For all things Velodrome
michellebrown

Postby michellebrown » 24 Mar 2011, 13:00

Hi Everyone,

Juniors training at Tempe Velodrome is certainly taking off! We had 12 riders this session and Phil Kelly put on an exciting programme of training drills and races as usual. Congratulations to Francis Teow for having his first race and claiming his first victory! Wins also to Tallis Boerne Marcus, Bill Bolton, Sam Weller, Thomas Cornish, and the team of Callum Goldsmith, Tom Bolton, Thomas Cornish, Alex Kapruziak and Hugo Venville who worked together to bag the Italian Pursuit. I'll let you know in next week's news letter about whether there'll be training in the school holidays. Don't forget if you want to get more experience on the Dunc Gray Velodrome Brian Sprouster runs a session on Mondays. Details follow again in case you missed them before:

"Training at the Dunc Gray Velodrome Monday evenings (except for public holidays and school holidays). Younger cyclists will train from 5:15pm to 6pm for $5 and older junior riders from 6pm-7pm for $10. It's a great way to get used to riding the 250m board track, which has steeper banking than Tempe and also improve your performance for the Racing at Winter (RAW) Series and major competitions, many of which are held at Dunc Gray."

Sad News :(
Regrettably one of our longest serving junior members Adolfo Velez has had to give up track racing for health reasons. Adolfo is one of the nicest young blokes you could meet and he will be sorely missed at the track. It's not all bad though, Adolfo says he'll continue to ride his road bike with the club, so we hope to see him regularly and he may join the juniors for the odd race as well. Thanks for riding track with us and representing the club so well Adolfo.

Road/Track Racing
There'll be no road racing this Sunday at Waratah Park Sutherland because Southern Cross is holding its track championships at Tempe. Good luck to all our SX track training buddies - we hope you get good racing conditions and take home plenty of championship medals. I believe DHBC Juniors who are licenced for racing, can enter the if they wish, but won't be eligible for medals as it is a club championship event. Details follow:

The 2011 Southern Cross CC is this Sunday.
Date: Sunday 27 March 2011
Time: From 9am
Where: Canterbury Velodrome, Tempe
Bring: Track bike and helmet and plenty to drink. Remember to bring your sunscreen, hat and sun shade - it can get very hot at the velodrome. If you don't have a track bike, bring along your road bike as the track will be opened for some road bike riders.
Wanted - Please let us know if you have small sized track bicycles for sale, either new or second hand. We are in the market for 48 and 51 cms frames for younger junior riders.

Things to Remember - Always bring a water bottle to track training and have it handy. You get very hot riding and the last thing we want is for you to get wobbly while you're on your bike. It's also important to let me of Phil Kelly know if you have a medical condition or injuries, so we can tailor your training to avoid making things worse.

Holiday - I'll be taking leave for one week from Monday the 4th of April till Sunday the 10th of April. That's the week before school holidays. Yes, I will be taking a bike with me!

That's all for now,

Till next time... keep rolling

Michelle Brown

DHBC Juniors

0412 442 550

Return to “Track”