DHBC Juniors Training & News 22/9

For all things Velodrome
michellebrown

Postby michellebrown » 23 Sep 2010, 17:42

Hi Everybody,
another bumper training session - nice to see more or our friends from Southern Cross back - Evan and Carla Pignatelli and Adam Brookfield, as well as a first appearance by the very handy Lidcombe rider Aaron Frater. 14 riders in all! Our newest potential member Liam Doyle got off to a good start too and should be training with the bunch next week, all things being equal. Liam's a very good runner and a road rider, so could prove quite a challenge when he hits his straps.

Now we're in the lead-up to the state track events, Phil is concentrating on team races. After a warm up of 15/12 laps and whistle sprints, there were several team pursuits before we finished with two "Miss and Out" races. Evan Pignatelli won the first group, with Hugo Thompson in 2nd and Hannah Kelly 3rd. Hugo Venville held out Aaron to win the second race with Evan Pignatelli backing up again for 3rd. Hugo Venville leads the points score on 23. Tom Bolton is 2nd on 16-points and Hannah Kelly 3rd on 15-points.

Wildlife
Thanks to Seamus's brother and sister for keeping the magpies away and Donna Bolton for tip-top record keeping. We couldn't do it without you.

Bon Voyage
You'll be alarmed to hear I'll be taking Juniors training for the next two weeks as Phil and Hannah Kelly are off for a well-earned break cruising the Whitsundays. Have a great trip guys and we'll look forward to your return. Riders let me know which events you'd like me to include in the training programme. Bon Voyage also to Hugo Venville who's off to France on a student excursion, then other destinations in Europe with his parents, including the Czech Republic - where he's going riding with a young Czech rider who joined DHBC, during his stay in Australia (Thomas?). Nothing like having a local tour guide.

Bike Week
A little bird has told me there's a prize for the winner of the junior exhibition race at this Saturday's Bike Week event at the Tempe Velodrome. Could you please let me know by return email if you are available to race so I can let Simon Llewellyn know? You can meet us at the Velodrome at 10am or ride out with Saturday Slowies from Mick Mazza's shop in Marrickville Road at 6.30am. The bunch will ride back to Tempe for a BBQ breakfast and then help set up for the day. There'll be exhibition races, workshops on various aspects of cycling, good coffee and plenty more until 2pm. It's a great opportunity to promote DHBC Juniors - hope you can make it.

Junior Development @ Dunc Gray
Bicycle NSW is holding a junior development day at Dunc Gray Velodrome on Wednesday the 6th of October. It's for U15/U17 riders (and U13 riders who are moving up to U15 this season). You'll need your recreation or riding licence and it will cost $10 - payable on the day. Be there by 9am for a 9.30 start. I won't be able to be there as I'll be working, so you'll need to arrange transport and to remember to take your bike with you from training the Wednesday before. Hope as many of you as possbile can make it. You'll learn heaps about what you need to know to get racing.

Sydney to Gong
Looks at this stage like we'll have quite a bunch for the Sydney to Gong ride. Don't forget to register. You'll be asked to commit to a $250 fundraising target, but won't have to make up any shortfall if you don't meet it. Don't forget to join the DHBC team for the ride when you register. We'll talk about meeting points and bunch riding a little closer to the event.

That's all for now,
Keep rolling,
Michelle Brown
DHBC Juniors

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 23 Sep 2010, 18:06

Great report as always Michelle and excellent to know that the juniors are really picking up.

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 24 Sep 2010, 10:08

A little bird has told me there's a prize for the winner of the junior exhibition race at this Saturday's Bike Week event at the Tempe Velodrome.
There will be an Ashfield Cycles voucher prize for First, Second and Third.

timyone

Postby timyone » 24 Sep 2010, 14:59

lol! well i think aaron from lidcombe might be there, and hugo might not.. so yeah...

Return to “Track”