DHBC Juniors news

For all things Velodrome
michellebrown

Postby michellebrown » 01 Jul 2010, 17:46

Hi everyone,

Pursuit Training - Visit to Dunc Gray
U15/U17 pursuit team had a really solid training session on Monday. Big thanks to Tim and Simon for your help and expertise. As the next scheduled pursuit training session is the 2nd Monday of the school holidays - I though it would be good to go out to Dunc Gray and use the 250m board track. If you ride a loan bike, you will have to take it with you next Wednesday so we can get it out to Bass Hill. Everyone with a ride licence or licence receipt is welcome to the session. Please let me know by return email if you are coming and if you need help with transport. When you arrive at about 9.30am, you need to go to the Bicycle NSW office to pay your track fee ($5), show your licence and sign on.
http://www.duncgrayvelodrome.com/page/a ... _gray.html

Training
Training on Wednesday got off to a delayed start, but we still managed to get a reasonable session happening in Phil's absence. After a warm up, we concentrated on the power phase of standing starts. Remember to keep you arms solid in the start and your shoulders even, so the wheel stays straight when you push off. Move your rear, back over the seat on the count of "1" , then move your hips forward towards the handle bars when you launch, pushing your leading foot down hard from the hip and pulling up with the other. Aim for minimum movement in your upper body and the bike. Moving around just wastes energy! Why not look up some footage of starts on the net, and see how the champions do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYAbrkSCMJM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1AfJSrh ... re=related

Thanks to our gun rider from North Sydney, Henry Baird, for a sterling job leading out for the last ride. Everyone dug hard to stay on, but Henry prevailed - even finding enough for a sprint finish!

Training will continue on Wednesdays through the school holidays for those that can come. It's been very cold at the track, so don't forget to dress warmly. Layers are ideal, so you can shed them as you warm up. Put something on as soon as you finish, even if you feel hot and don't forget to keep drinking, even if you don't fee las thirsty in the cold.

Coaching
The club sponsored me and assistant coach, Jessica Norman, to attend a cycle skills training course at Fairfield last Monday. It was an informative day, and I think we will both pass, once our workbooks are checked. We learnt a lot about training new riders. We also plan to get our first aid certificates, which are mandatory for all cycle coaches now.

Uniforms
I'll get the DHBC jerseys to the track as soon as possible, so you can try them for size.

RAW
DHBC leads the point score at the RAW series - held at the Dunc Gray velodrome on Friday nights. Hugo Venville U17, competed in the first weeks racing and had a fantastic time. If you're thinking of getting a racing licence and competing any time soon you may be interested in the details @ http://nsw.cycling.org.au/?ID=38260

Road Riding
On the first Saturday of each month I will be on the Saturday Slowies ride from Mick Mazza's Shop on Marrickville road @ 6.30am to supervise any juniors who would like to participate. We ride in a bunch to Centennial Park for about 40-minutes of training, then return to Marrickville Road. It's OK to bring a mountian bike on this ride. Once at the park we can practice bunch riding skills and work on fitness.

Housekeeping etc.
I'll be attending the DHBC Committee meeting next Tuesday and report back in the next newsletter. Please email me with anything you would like to raise at the meeting. Welcome back to Chris Kesoglou and Adolpho - we missed you guys! Have a great holiday Bolton Family!

Till next time...
Keep on rolling!
Michelle Brown
0412 442 550

timyone

Postby timyone » 03 Jul 2010, 13:18

when is the school holidays? i might be able to come to that dunc session, i have a week off soon

michellebrown

Postby michellebrown » 08 Jul 2010, 15:43

We'll be at Dunc Gray on Monday the 12th @ 0930 - that's the 2nd Monday of the holidays! - would be super if you could come - Michelle.

Return to “Track”