Monday Night Training

For all things Velodrome
Grant Bond

Postby Grant Bond » 04 Sep 2007, 08:58

Had a great training session at the end last night with our mentor Mr Brown mixing things up a bit with some team lead outs...Great fun although "Team Credit Agricole" had it over me when it came to tactics ( due partly to my inability to count laps!! Silly me!).

I think i learnt more about bike racing in that half hour session than i have for a long time, its really interesting to learn strategy from those sorts of excercises. It makes you realise that timing is everything. I cant wait for the next crack at chess on wheels!

It looks as if im right for FNWTR this week as well so ill do my bit to try and get us back up above Parramatta.

Cheers

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 04 Sep 2007, 09:42

Gee that was a lot of fun last night wasn't it? I had my doubts when Brownie came up with the idea, but it really was a challenging concept. I'm still curious what would have happening in the second one if you hadn't have gone early? Brownie had it lined up so I took the wind & you guys just had to jump us in the back straight. I think we would have won anyway, with Brownie's cold and your ride to Wollongong on Sunday, I think me & Tim had the superior horse power no matter where the sprint was & I think it would have taken alot of horse power to get round me & Tim with the kick even with a headwind...

Grant Bond

Postby Grant Bond » 04 Sep 2007, 10:18

Yeah..would have been interesting...im not sure i had the legs to kick late.
I thought the third one was a pretty good contest too athough i probably went 50m before i should have...I was trying to keep the sprints longish as in normal lead outs Tim has a better kick but i tend to finish a little quicker...guess if i had gone with 225 to go instead of 300 it might have been a lot closer...it really made me push my limits in that last sprint..
I kept thinking about it this morning The real key as to just sprint on the wheel untill right at the death and then try to jump out of cover in the straight.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 04 Sep 2007, 10:38

OK you'll got me curious, what did you do?

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 04 Sep 2007, 11:44

It was team based leadouts. Me & Tim vs Brownie & Grant over 3 laps. THe starting order was split up so say Me, Grant, Tim then Brownie. The order had to remain the same till one & a half laps to go, at which point we could jostle for position. The only catch being the stronger rider had to lead out the weaker rider & had to be in front up till 200ms to go at which point the weaker rider could take the lead. So from one and a half to go you had to find your partner and position them to beat the other slower rider, but your partner couldn't pass you till 200ms, so you couldn't just block the other team and let your partner open up the sprint.

It was actually highly entertaining. In 2 out of the 3 Grant lost his nerve and sprinted early effectively disqualifying the team. There was a fairly strong headwind on the front straight and kind of tailwind on the back straight. Effectively the second rider never really had to come of the wheel to win, the could get pulled the whole way, they just had to beat their counterpart. We're thinking with 3 teams it would be even more fun...

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 04 Sep 2007, 11:48

Interesting

And from what you wrote, it sounds like with the head wind that Tim and Grant would be better off staying behind out of the wind. All easily said in hind sight.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 04 Sep 2007, 12:45

It's not particularly easy being on the front because you have to work out what speed to go to give your partner the advantage but not gap them. I think we had the advantage with our communication as well because I had Tim yelling at me... FASTER FASTER!!!

timyone

Postby timyone » 05 Sep 2007, 11:51

:D
yeah brownie really is the master tactician, but you have to guess what it is he wants to do!! (unless we had worked it out before hand, but there would have to be 5 or 6 plans for each team!?!

Return to “Track”