Matty Wallman MMA1 NSW CHAMPION - INDIVIDUAL PURSUIT

For all things Velodrome
Trouty

Postby Trouty » 14 Mar 2010, 16:34

Congratulations Matty on a great ride. He lead the time in the qualifier, and bettered his time on the fight out for Gold in the final. No doubt the great technical coaching by Team captain Simon, and the professional cheer squad , helped him along the way!

Good effort from Micheal Clements, Craig and Ian Denker in the Team Sprint this morning. I believe they came 6th or 7th - against a tough field who all train specifically for this event.

Camilla and I didn't come last in our team sprint, and we didn't fall over - so that was a milestone in itself.

Nick B also entered the pursuit today, but it was doubly hard with him having to do the Pursuit with no competitor on the other side of the track.

Last but not least - Shaun Colley and Ian Denker were the only Masters to enter the Sprint CHampionships yesterday for DHBC. Although none of them got in the final - I think they were both happy with their times for their first championship.

timyone

Postby timyone » 14 Mar 2010, 16:36

lol!!
i should have read that before posting!

lol shaun was around for whe weekend was he?

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 14 Mar 2010, 17:29

lol!!
i should have read that before posting!

lol shaun was around for whe weekend was he?
Yep Shaun was around, he only did the sprint yesterday, and wasn't sure DHBC had a team to enter for today. He has been training for sprints the last 6 months, but disappointingly for him, amongst other setback, he reignited a previous back injury in the last 2 weeks so fronting up for yesterday's race was hard. I think he is up for the TT next week and then have a rest.

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 14 Mar 2010, 19:34

Awesome work, Team DHBC!!!

Next, Matt, are you going to compete in the Nationals in Melbourne...? :lol:

wallman

Postby wallman » 14 Mar 2010, 19:44

It was a pretty fun, and occasionally nervewracking day out today. Everyone seemed happy to see DHBC win a gold. Ronny Peek said he was going to call Al with the news. Thanks to Simon and Alex for lending me bits for the bike and Simon, Jo and Camilla for hanging out and cheering me on. Coach Llewellyn has a bright future ahead of him I reckon.
I managed to take a couple of seconds of my qualifying time in the final which was nice. The most disappointing aspect of the day was how ordinary my frame looked despite some red-hot wheels but it still did the business.
For those of you who've not raced a pursuit, and for those of you that think that it's not a race that would lend itself to a lap by lap description, here's a lap by lap description of the qualifying ride to get you all inspired:
1. My first gate start and I didn’t fall over!
2. Am I going too fast? I think I’m going too fast.
3. I’m just going to back off a notch
4. I’m going too slow!
5. Pick it back up!
6. I can’t pick it up, I’m stuffed, this is it from here on in.
7. Maybe this isn’t it, maybe I’ll just keep getting slower and
8. Slower until I come to a stop on the
9. 9th lap and just sort of flop over like a felled tree
10. But no I’m still going - the horror, the horror.
11. F*&k it. F*&k F*&k F*&k F*&k F*&k F*&k F*&k F*&k
12. Wait a minute, what lap is this?

Michael Chidgey

Postby Michael Chidgey » 14 Mar 2010, 19:53

1. My first gate start and I didn’t fall over!
2. Am I going too fast? I think I’m going too fast.
3. I’m just going to back off a notch
4. I’m going too slow!
5. Pick it back up!
6. I can’t pick it up, I’m stuffed, this is it from here on in.
7. Maybe this isn’t it, maybe I’ll just keep getting slower and
8. Slower until I come to a stop on the
9. 9th lap and just sort of flop over like a felled tree
10. But no I’m still going - the horror, the horror.
11. F*&k it. F*&k F*&k F*&k F*&k F*&k F*&k F*&k F*&k
12. Wait a minute, what lap is this?
congrats on the result and the very entertaining description.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 14 Mar 2010, 20:08

That was a very enjoyable day out!! Unfortainently I couldn't get there early enough to see the team sprints but I do enjoy a good individual pursuit.

Congratulations to Matt to taking home the title. It was an excellent day out in learning. In the qualifying he went out very quickly and was well up on his schedule at the 500m mark and the rode a 1:16 kilo which was still on schedule but he learnt a lesson or two about being in the red zone!!

The in the gold medal ride off he was much more controlled, riding very close to schedule the whole time being a maximum of two seconds up at one point and bassically rode to it to the finish. It was a big improvement in such a short time!!!

Well done Matt!!!

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 14 Mar 2010, 22:44

Congrats Matt! You better kiss your Powertap too. ;)

othy

Postby othy » 14 Mar 2010, 22:50

Well done Matt. Bike setup looks great. Did you mess around with gear selection at all?

micklan

Postby micklan » 15 Mar 2010, 05:43

Great victory Matt - excellent photos - I'v never met a gold medalist... :D
Last edited by micklan on 15 Mar 2010, 17:26, edited 1 time in total.

wallman

Postby wallman » 15 Mar 2010, 08:11

Awesome work, Team DHBC!!!

Next, Matt, are you going to compete in the Nationals in Melbourne...? :lol:
I'm not sure what to make of that lol Jess! I guess you're laughing at how silly I would make my competitors look! Well it's not going to happen sadly 'cause I jet out today for a 3 week ski- and NYC-fest. I suspect I'll be riding with the slowies on the weekend of the Masters Nats, plus, I'm not sure they recognise Masters 1 anyway.
Well done Matt. Bike setup looks great. Did you mess around with gear selection at all?
The frame doesn't let me get as low at the front as I'd like. As for gears, I started training on a 100 inch but whittled it down to 96 by the last couple of weeks. The stronger guys are pushing a 102 or thereabouts.

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 15 Mar 2010, 09:45

I'm not sure what to make of that lol Jess!
I'm giggling in excitement. The last time I was in Melbourne watching an individual persuit was Simon at the World Cup. I am reliving this moment vicariously through your success. It's really a wonderful achievement Matt and I enjoy that you could go on and challenge your state title!!! (That's if they have your category that is)

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 15 Mar 2010, 16:10

It was a pretty fun, and occasionally nervewracking day out today. Everyone seemed happy to see DHBC win a gold. Ronny Peek said he was going to call Al with the news. Thanks to Simon and Alex for lending me bits for the bike and Simon, Jo and Camilla for hanging out and cheering me on. Coach Llewellyn has a bright future ahead of him I reckon.
Matty - can you get the photo of you on the Podium that was taken on your camera. I think that should go on the front of the forum page some where. Is it the first time we have had a State Champion at DHBC? Get as much milage as you can out of it I reckon.

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 15 Mar 2010, 16:27

Well done Matt!!!

Return to “Track”