Track newbie

For all things Velodrome
paul

Postby paul » 08 Feb 2010, 20:37

I would like to give the track a go.
Do I just come down on Monday or Wednesday evening with my fixed wheel bike and racing license?

Paul

NOOG

Postby NOOG » 09 Feb 2010, 04:20

Yes :D

timyone

Postby timyone » 09 Feb 2010, 12:19

no breaks on the track though!
but yeah i think thats all you need to do, its 5 bux, if lindsey is there hes helpful for new riders to get them onto the track, maybe see if he will be there as well?

hugo

Postby hugo » 09 Feb 2010, 15:28

no breaks on the track though!
but yeah i think thats all you need to do, its 5 bux, if lindsey is there hes helpful for new riders to get them onto the track, maybe see if he will be there as well?
there's a new junior, so i'd say it's almost certain that he'll be there. phil from southern cross is also there on wednesdays, so when he's done with us kiddies i'm sure he'd be able to help you out as well.

paul

Postby paul » 09 Feb 2010, 20:26

Thanks

Brakes are off. Back wheel spun around to the fixed side.

See you tomorrow!

Paul

jamesorton

Postby jamesorton » 08 Mar 2010, 09:24

Hi there

I am also a newbie, just moved over from the UK. I had a go on a velodrome just before I left and loved it. I hoping to get into track training/racing here. I am planning to come down to Tempe on Wednesday and I have a few questions:

- Do I need a license to get on the track, even for a try out? If so, what's the easiest way to go about getting one?

I have my own track bike, that i use on the road. I can take the brake off but I'm not sure I am running a high enough gear ratio:

- What is the ideal gear inch for the track, for a beginner?
- Is it ok to use toe straps on the track?

Cheers
James

christian

Postby christian » 08 Mar 2010, 10:25

Welcome to the forum James.

You do need a license to ride on the track, if you have a UCI license from the UK that may get you by. We would need to check with Cycling Australia. Otherwise you need either a Ride-it or race license even to train on a velodrome. If you want to join the club and get a license then we can help you out with that.

There is no problem using your current bike if you remove the brake. A good gear to start on would be 88 inches. Most of us train on 94 inches.

Straps are ok if you have proper shoes with slotted cleats. We don't want you to pull a foot and come off. Most people use road pedals.

Its a good idea to just drop down on Wednesday night anytime after 630pm and talk to one of us.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 09 Mar 2010, 08:59

You do need a license to ride on the track, if you have a UCI license from the UK that may get you by. We would need to check with Cycling Australia. Otherwise you need either a Ride-it or race license even to train on a velodrome. If you want to join the club and get a license then we can help you out with that.
re licences: According to Cycling Australia, if you have a UCI licence it needs to be an 'International Licence' and have your photo plus country code on it and it must obviously be current. You should also have a letter from your home cycling union saying that you are covered by their insurance for racing or training overseas.

If you don't have these than the old ride-it licence referred to above is now called a Recreational Licence (much more descriptive of its real intention) and costs $77 per year including membership to DHBC and Cycling Australia, including insurance. This is enough to do track training or come on club road rides.

If you wish to race, then you'll need a race licence which are $255 for elite (< 35yrs old) or $202 for masters. See this link for details on how to join DHBC and Cycling Australia

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 09 Mar 2010, 09:06

Is it permissible for riders to hold concurrent licenses from different countries under UCI rules? Of course, not that UCI or the media would find out for unmarked amateurs.

Return to “Track”