FTNWR 24/8/07 in photos

For all things Velodrome
Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 24 Aug 2007, 23:45

Well it was a case of then there was one. Yep after a promising start to the season we were back to just one again. But it was an awesome night of racing with I think one of the fastest A grades this season! It saw a return to racing for the second time this season for JL Rathbone, the current Australian points race champion & wait for it.... The fat man's handicap!!!!!! The one we've all been waiting all season for. Alas I was 13kgs to light to enter with the starting weight being Crafties, 95kgs for scratch. The main favorite for the night was none other than D grade local at Heffron park Matty Hines at Wopping 120kgs!! for anybody who was wondering, which earnt him a 230m handicap or so. Well he didn't win & came home with third on the line but it was exciting. Here's some photos from the night...

Welcome to Dunc Gray for FNWTR August 24th 2007.

Crafty the man with the microphone both runs & entertains the event...

I smile with Brownie on my wheel before the opening scratch race...

I'm not sure what speeds we were doing but it was fast! over 60kms/hr..

I made sure I did some work on the front in the mystery race. I put in an attack to hope that that would be the lap of the bell but no luck...

Matty Hines; '747,' was the favourite for the wheel race in the big man's event but this time no cigar...

This is the one lap starts race but sadly I haven't been doing much training on my starts of late...

& here's the finish, I didn't do too great...

Funniest moment of the night, Stewie was telling me about how a rider in the state titles last year who I won't name was so content on seeing his time in the flying 200 that he swung up & went straight over the barriers into the crowd!!!...

& not even at the side of the velodrome at the top, right above the TissoT sign!!!

Finally this is the time blaster which was the end of me. I got dropped & Craftie announced over the microphone I had cracked which I thought was abit rude so I fought my way back on only to be blasted off the back....

Guys I've got to add, Just looking at these photos gets my heart racing. Friday night winter racing really is one of the most fun events in cycling in NSWs. It's not really even all that competitive, just a lot of fun. I won't tell people to come but I will say your all missing out!!! Both on a lot of good fitness, a high standard of racing & a smile that you won't be able to wipe off your face for a week...

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 25 Aug 2007, 00:10

It really was a night of drama. I've just got to add, in the Div 1 mystery race Jason Roberts pulled his foot in the sprint & managed to hold it up right! Crafty said it was the first person he has ever seen sprint with one foot. & I guess that's why there are never any crashes in Div1, in Div 2 the whole sprint probably would of gone down. It is also the first year I've seen Roberts riding without straps & that's what happens without a strap holding your foot in...

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 25 Aug 2007, 07:40

Nice photos. Were you the only DHBC rider ?

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 25 Aug 2007, 11:27

yeh just me last night....

Return to “Track”