Metro Championships Finish?

For all things Velodrome
Trouty

Postby Trouty » 20 Aug 2009, 21:01

Does anyone have any idea what time this event goes till? I know it starts at 11.30, but having not done anything like it before....have no idea what time they have allocated or booked the Velodrome for?

kevinllewellyn

Postby kevinllewellyn » 23 Aug 2009, 16:00

Congratulations to everyone. Team Dulwich Hill rode well.

http://s735.photobucket.com/albums/ww35 ... ropolitan/

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 26 Aug 2009, 06:05

I'm in the deep south of Italy with a moody dial up modem and have finally got onto DHBC only to find no one has posted about the metro champs! A report please!!! I'm particularly interested to hear how Aimes did in the 2km pursuit.

After a few hiccups, Stella and I are cruising the back streets of Basilicata. For the 5 free minutes I get a day anyway.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 26 Aug 2009, 07:22

I'm in the deep south of Italy with a moody dial up modem and have finally got onto DHBC only to find no one has posted about the metro champs! A report please!!! I'm particularly interested to hear how Aimes did in the 2km pursuit.
Aims did really well in the pursuit. There were only 4 elites. Michelle Crawford (world champ), Katrina Lane and another young girl I don't know. It was a tough field but I think Amy was only 4 seconds off Katrina Lanes time. Which was excellent given she hasn't had any specific training in this event and that she was on "Big Bird". Amy is in the process of purchasing a new bike (Argon) which she tried the other day and already it took a second of the times we were doing. So more progress to come.

I will see if I can find the result link some where. Although every one put in a good effort another memorable race was Mike Clements who broke away from the field in the last scratch race....but came in 3rd under some great competition.

Take care in Italy. Gossip soon.

timyone

Postby timyone » 26 Aug 2009, 07:38

yeah i couldnt beleive it looked like he would lap the field!! With the vets, they know who they have to beat, and probably were only racing against who ever it was they neded to beat to make the podium over all, but it was still heaps good :D

Mike jumped on the front and started riding, expecting every one to be with him, but it turned out there was only one guy (am i remembering the right event) and that guy dropped off, then he got to nearly half a lap ahead! eventually michael popawell, made a break and went past him, and one of the other world champ bisci sport riders did too, but sepperately. Mike held off for 3rd place, they just missed him at the end :D

In the elite lads, me and alex had similar times in the time trial, 5th and 6th or so. we faced off again in the repecharge for the sprint event, in which it was an all dulwich hill affair, Mark Hales being the third for the challenge. Alex tried a hardcore attack on me, but i happened to still be on his wheel a lap or two later :D I did consider putting my hands up over the line, to get my self disqualified and give the spot to mark :D

In my semi i went out hard off the start for the three laps, John Upton jumped on my Wheel, and we gapped the 3rd and 4th riders who were both defence force lads. sadly one of them got me on the line.

The final scratch race of 10km was a bit of a cruisy slow affair, with the focus all on Ben Harvey and Mitchell Bullen, who i was a wheel or two off. when it got to the last two laps or two, i pulled off the front onto the back, just before Ben Harvey, who i then sat on to the front. I ended up being pipped on the line By Rob Upton who hjas a massive sprint, which i dont have at all at the moment.

But yeah good day :D

shrubb face

Postby shrubb face » 26 Aug 2009, 13:42

Im not quite sure what you define as cruisy slow affair tim, but when i was talking to ben havey after the race he described it as pretty quick.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 26 Aug 2009, 21:31

Thanks Tim, I wasn't aware of the other rider

I was going to wait until I got the photos I've ordered off Bernie, but its probably time to put the goss out, so here's my report.

Normally I post my results in Tour de Mike but as these results include my best ever results, I'll put them here first, for the consumption of the red devils

Feeling crook on Friday, I decided not to do RAW and went home, in bed at 7pm, though I was busy surfing the web. RAW live feed not working :cry:

In the morning I decided to roll my legs, so rode slowies. I had told Weiyun that I'd do a hot lap of CP no hands and when I got the start point he was there, so I did one lap no hands 6m41s. Then I stood around chatting, we cruised around for a couple of laps and left.

500mtr timetrail
The only race that worse for me is 250mtr. I got a good start by my standards and ran out of steam with 1/2 lap to go. 40.6seconds, 10th out of 12, probably 2 places better than I should of done.

3 lap derby - 1st heat
Just what you need a world champion (Peter Barnard) in your heat. Couldn't even hold his wheel when he sprinted. Mark L did well to get up on my side.

3 lap derby - relegation (or whatever its called
With 2 to go a rider went around the outside, I got his wheel then lost it. In the end there wasn't a lot in it between getting thru and elimination. I was happy to be eliminated.

In the infield I was feeling dizzy after the last race, while it wasn't affecting my ability, I was seriously considering whether I should continue. I got a bag of clothes, used it as a pillow and had a nap. Then I added 4mm to my seat post to take a bit of stress out of the quads and went out for a free session. I decided that I was OK to continue.

20 lap scratch race
I started near the back, when I got to the front I stood up an attacked, 5 riders came with me, I rolled to the back of them, but they slowed down and the bunch tacked on.

When I got to the front again I attacked again, I thought I was out by myself, but Tim said there was another rider with me. Thinking I was clear I attacked even harder, I looked around and to my surprise I had virtually a 1/2 lap lead.

With 8 laps to go I changed my tactic to timetrail, go quick but don't blow myself up. 2 more laps and I could see Peter Barnard chasing me, it wasn't time to loose my cool, I realised that there was no chance of holding him off, so I kept to my time trail approach.

Barnard went past me, in hind sight I should of tacked on, but its easy to post analyse what you should or shouldn't of done when your on the limit.

I could see another rider coming for me, I think it was Michael Popawell, but I'm not sure, I haven't seen the results. I knew he was going to get me, but I was confident I'd beat the rest. I'm still riding quick but I'm conserving a bit of energy in case I needed it to keep the pack at bay.

Coming on to the straight for the last time I looked around and saw the bunch was closer than I'd expected, so I put a little spurt in and 3rd was mine.

But then I was called to the Commonsure (spelling?) Not wearing club uniform. Roll on the jersey order.

And before you jump, I've ordered the pics from Bernie

Mark L rolls while I wait to attack

Toro Toro Toro (actually from the 500mtr, but you get the drift)

I'm way clear of the pack

Hey Bernie, can you take my best side next time :wink:

So there you go, raced the world champion, the Australian champion and a bunch of riders way above my league and I got a 3rd. When your out gunned, take a punt, your got nothing to loose.

timyone

Postby timyone » 26 Aug 2009, 21:44

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 26 Aug 2009, 23:31

Better photos at Action Snaps, I'll buy some of them;

Early on at the back

Rolling thru

My initial attack, looking at the photo it was the fast guys, Ian and me

Out by myself

Being chased, glad to see that photo, it shows that he was under stress. He's also inside the centre line, I demand disqualification.

Second place (I think).

P1 Over the line

P2 Over the line

Then it was me 3rd. I wasn't concerned about the riders behind me. Looking at the photo, they appeared to have got out of the racing line thinking they could get me.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 27 Aug 2009, 04:55

.....On the downside, did I mention Mike got an official warning for not being in uniform!

Great pics. Puts things back into perspective when the bikes the competition are riding are almost expensive as a small car...and I won't even mention the wheels.

timyone

Postby timyone » 27 Aug 2009, 08:41

the warning was because you arent allowed to wear non club colours at state events, amy maybe should have had one too :S
I know its crap because our jersies have taken all the season to get there, with a heap of new riders, but at state titles, and maybe opens, i think you need thator black!

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 27 Aug 2009, 09:57

Technically I think only Joanne and Ian were in club uniform. I'm aware of non DHBC riders who also weren't in uniform.

Beanzy

Postby Beanzy » 27 Aug 2009, 19:12

With Mike getting a warning for non club uniform, it is timely to remind everyone that club kit (or plain colour kit) should be worn for Cat 4 racing and above.

Heffron on a Saturday is classed as Cat 4. All open events and championships as stated before have the rule applied as well.

Cheers

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 27 Aug 2009, 21:54

With Mike getting a warning for non club uniform, it is timely to remind everyone that club kit (or plain colour kit) should be worn for Cat 4 racing and above.

Heffron on a Saturday is classed as Cat 4. All open events and championships as stated before have the rule applied as well.

Cheers
Ironically, Bucko uses the example of the well dressed DHBC guys at Heffron to encourage everyone else to wear uniform. Just look at that beautiful photo (courtesy of RBCC) on the home page and all those good looking guys in red and black.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 27 Aug 2009, 23:38

I believe it's an issue of an unapproved uniform, especially with unregistered sponsors. If you don't have a club uniform, you should wear a plain red jersey, and plain black knicks. If you don't have a plain red jersey, a neutral coloured plain jersey is usually accepted.

Return to “Track”