New Times for Sunday Rides

Club News and Announcements
geoff m

Postby geoff m » 01 Dec 2008, 23:23

Dear all,

Further to Lindsay's announcement last Sunday, departure times are changing as a result of growing popularity, diversity of skills and to enable most people to return by 9.40am.

Details of rides commencing Sunday 8th December are:

Sunday Slowies
6.20 Departure. Newer members looking to build on technique and endurance. Group will be led by Lindsay on days he is available. Average speed 26 to 27kms per hour. We would like some other experienced riders to help out on days Lindsay may not be available.

Sunday Middies
6.30 Departure. Experienced and skilled in bunch riding at intermediate speed of average speed 27 to 30kms per hour. Adrian will initially lead, but we are after other experience riders to assist.

Sunday Fasties
6.40 Departure. Experienced and skilled in bunch riding at faster pace of average speed 29 to 33kms per hour.

Depending on numbers in winter, we will review grouping and times to ensure numbers are reasonable, and start time may be pushed back when daylight is at its shortest.
Last edited by geoff m on 06 Dec 2008, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 06 Dec 2008, 11:19

Geoff - we should get the home page updated to reflect these new times and groups.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 06 Dec 2008, 20:59

Lindsay has already undertaken to make the change. Thanks

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 08 Dec 2008, 08:16

Riding along with RBCC yesterday, I looked across and saw a feast of DHBC riders, it had appeared that all 3 bunches had merged on the mad mile and there was red scattered everywhere.

At the servo there were more DHBC riders than I have ever seen before. DHBC had more riders than RBCC, that's a massive turnout.

insomniac

Postby insomniac » 08 Dec 2008, 09:48

Just curious as can't make any rides for a few weeks - were there many middies? and if there were, did that leave many slowies? Did the slowies keep up with the middies or did the middies keep up with the fasties?

Unfortunately I'm stuck and bored in Dallas, Texas until Xmas, suriving on junk food -sheesh can't believe it here no-one, I mean no-one walks or rides bikes it is souless and spooky. Maybe I'll get some sleep.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 08 Dec 2008, 10:16

Unfortunately I'm stuck and bored in Dallas, Texas until Xmas, suriving on junk food -sheesh can't believe it here no-one, I mean no-one walks or rides bikes it is souless and spooky. Maybe I'll get some sleep.
You better look a bit harder! Lance Armstrong was born in the Dallas area, Piano TX. But you are probably right, the city is so spread out that it's hard to find those gems unless you know where to go.

Otherwise, enjoy burgers at local diners. You just can't get similar outside of US. I miss them.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 08 Dec 2008, 11:11

I'm stuck and bored in Dallas, Texas until Xmas
Hit the local gym

insomniac

Postby insomniac » 08 Dec 2008, 13:07

I just walked a km or so to a Thai restaurant...did not pass a single soul. Food was ok though...apparently there's a gym in the hotel to try out. For Lance to become the rider he is / was is really remarkable considering the "culture"he was brouight up in.

But what were the numbers like for Middies - were there many? Or was it just Slow Coach Jo and her trainees? Fill me in please thanks. How about a report Slow Coach or Middie Coach Jo (as you might be now referred to as)?

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 08 Dec 2008, 16:56

Just curious as can't make any rides for a few weeks - were there many middies? and if there were, did that leave many slowies? Did the slowies keep up with the middies or did the middies keep up with the fasties?
Hi Insomniac. This week was a bit of a mixup as not many people new about the earlier start so there was only 6 of us. We left right on at 6.20 - the group was small and quite strong so they averaged a pretty fast speed.

Alot of slowies turned up at 6.30 so had to go with the intermediates, so the group was a bit scattered with a few stragglers. My recommendation if people aren't sure which group they belong to is to get there early - at 6.15 and assess the group that is there so they can make a decision.

Have fun o/s

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 08 Dec 2008, 21:18

I missed seeing the Sunday Slowies going off, but the Middies was quite big - about 14 - a good number. I think the Fasties was about 6. Also 3 brave souls did RNP from 6am, so all in all, we had 4 departures. WELL DONE DULWICH HILL!

Having done Sat Slowies and raced in the heat and wind on Sat arvo for the first time in ages, my legs and but was a bit sore, so Middies was the perfect group for me.

It started off quite fast, going past Botany Bay at about 36 to 38kms per hour - quite fast. At that stage I thought I mose well have been in Fasties!

The differentiation of course are the hills and when we got to these I noticed the pace dropping back a fair bit compared to the pace by the Fasties group of previous weeks. A few got dropped and maybe were those who missed the Slowies roll out at 6.20am. Generally however, the group kept a very steady and good pace on the climb to Waterfall.

Turning around at Waterfall we caught the Slowies and half way back to Seven Eleven, the Fasties came by with most of us at that stage tacking on the back.

And as Michael said, we had the biggest, brightest contingent at the servo.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 09 Dec 2008, 06:43

Turning around at Waterfall we caught the Slowies and half way back to Seven Eleven, the Fasties came by with most of us at that stage tacking on the back.
CORRECTION: I don't believe the Middies did actually catch the slowies. There was a group of 6 slowies. 4 of the slowies which included Lindsay, Michelle, Ron and Terry - charged ahead as usual at waterfall turnoff and I believe they got to the Servo first before anyone. The fasties and middies past Stuart and I, but we were way behind the slowies group at that stage.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 10 Dec 2008, 17:09

~snip ~ 4 of the slowies which included Lindsay, Michelle, Ron and Terry - charged ahead as usual at waterfall turnoff and I believe they got to the Servo first before anyone. The fasties and middies past Stuart and I, but we were way behind the slowies group at that stage.
The first to pass Jo & I was going fast, I assumed it was a fastie - don't know who but very tall - then the other 4 slowies came past as Jo & had ridden down the footpath at the Waterfall turn and got in front of the other 4 - that pass was less than 2 k's Nth from Waterfall. Jo & I then rode alone until about Heathcote where the bunch came past.

After turning at Waterfall I saw lots of bunches of DHBC so I think the earlier start time for slowies really worked as we weren't caught till after Waterfall.

As for people missing the new start times; does this site do mailing lists or can we use a listserver to create one and maintain one for registered users / riders so that these types of changes and even events could be communicated more directly as a fair percentage of the riders probably don't read this forum e.g. even as a daily reader I didn't know about the changes as I don't read this section much as not much gets posted in here. Geoff told us all at slowies on Sat.

I'm happy to create and configure the listserver mailing lists - assuming we can incorporate listserver software into this web site?

timyone

Postby timyone » 11 Dec 2008, 22:35

man is our training turning into a handicap race?

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 20 Dec 2008, 09:42

Geoff - we should get the home page updated to reflect these new times and groups.
Done!

Return to “News and Announcements”