James seems to be OK

Club News and Announcements
geoff m

Postby geoff m » 20 May 2007, 11:35

For those on our ride this morning know James Fowler hit his head badly after a crash at Waterfall.

First report from Lindsay from hospital is he is in good spirits and having scans.

I've gotta go to the Swans now with the kids, but no doubt updates will be placed on this site as we become aware.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 20 May 2007, 12:06

Thanks for the update. Very glad to hear that James is moving in the right direction.

Anyone heard from Simon? Did he get picked up along with 3 bikes? I hope that he isn't still waiting by the side of the road... :roll:

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 20 May 2007, 12:48

I'm at home now. Me & Linds left the hospital about an hour ago. James has a failry bad swollen left eye, he can't open it & he's chipped a few teeth. He's had a head and neck CT done and he's awaiting the results to get the collar off. Otherwise he's abit shaken up and he is slowly regaining more of a memory of what happened.

lindsay

Postby lindsay » 20 May 2007, 14:17

For those of us not at our Waterfall ride this morning we did indeed have a stack. The root cause was a road surface breaking up and scattering large rocks across the break down lane where we cycle. Riders got pinch flats as they hit the rocks & James went into the back of a rider who was falling from 2 flats.

We all stopped and with the care of Weiyun kept James comfortable until the Ambulance arrived. I then got a ride in the front of the Ambulance (no flashing lights or siren ) and off the St George we went.

When I left at about midday James was still in the neck brace and had been X-rayed & CT scanned. Hopefully these will be clear. He has a big shiner (blackeye), a cut above his eye, chipped front teeth, a sore finger & some skin off his shoulder. He's was talking and joking with us but was not looking forward to a long afternoon in casualty.

I agree with Weiyun a discussion about our bunch riding on Sundays would be good as this is the second crash we had in the same spot for the same reason in 2 years.

-- Why you should be nice to the Ambo's --

I was chatting to the driver of the Ambulance today & he said that a couple of weeks ago he was driving the Ambulance from Waterrfall into the National Park down the big hill. There was a bunch of cyclists behind him and although he knew he was slowing them he told me he did his best to let them pass him. When they did one of the riders was irate & gave him a gob fill of abuse. Then he said "this really upset me because we spend all weekend picking up injured riders and I go a long way out of my way for them and to have to cop this really hurt". He said Sunday mornings is mainly picking up motorbike riders & pushbike riders. It's bad news to have to call an Ambulance but a relief when they arrive.

lindsay

Postby lindsay » 20 May 2007, 14:54

Just had a call from Stretch James's Dad to report the CT & x-rays have been cleared & the neck brace is off. Good news. However he is being kept over night for observation.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 20 May 2007, 15:09

Good safe bet to observe overnight given the speed of accident and his initial LOC/?fit. Of course, more time with the nurses (female kind of course). :wink:

lindsay

Postby lindsay » 20 May 2007, 15:16

Actually a lovely nurse started her shift while we were attending the bedside of our fallen comrade & she was a tri rider who trains quite often to Waterfall so she was asking what club we were & what bikes we rode etc... I did my best to give James the wink, however he didn't have a lot of head rotation at that stage. "Nurse can you help me with this pillow?"

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 20 May 2007, 17:07

From what you said Lindsay, I assume that the accident was on the stretch between Waterfall and Heathcote through the rolling hills.

Sounds like it was quite nasty. I didn't ride this morning because of my knee, hopefully I will be back on the bike (with James) in the next few weeks.

James

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 20 May 2007, 17:38

I thought the place of accident was at the first downhill stretch after turning round from Waterfall. It was just as we were starting to pick up solid speed when the rock appeared and followed by the accident just a tad after. That big rock was the size of a standard brick if not a bit larger and lying transverse to our direction of travel. Even before the rock, there were dropped or passed riders everywhere and I remembered our two side by side riders from the bunch had to squeeze through five abreast (two on the kerb side and one on the road side) at points. So it was already pretty crazy well before the worst. And prior to the rock, I didn't hear any call or see any signals from the front before the hit. The congested traffic didn't help with early visualization of the hazard either.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 20 May 2007, 18:03

It was pretty chaotic, I think over the years that has been one of the black spots of the course, that and the last section of the mad mile before the sprint line. You just never know what's going to be on the road at those two points & there is always punctures. But at the end of the day the real problem was the size of the bunch. We shouldn't have been on Randwick, it's a bad habit we've picked over the years from the days when there used to only be four of us and we didn't have a bunch, so we rode with them but now our bunch is the same size as theirs so it's just way to big when you join the two together. It would have been alot less chaotic in a smaller group...

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 20 May 2007, 18:17

The other possibility today was that the RB bunch might not have been their A bunch. I remember comments to the effect that their bunch speed was rather uneven all the way to Waterfall.

Anyway, I still couldn't figure out why there were all these riders falling behind before the rock. Were they members of another bunch? Or were they from the RB bunch? It was way too crowded. If it was the former, then the bunch should have gone onto the roadway to provide a wider berth during the overtake.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 20 May 2007, 18:43

I'm pretty sure the bunch was Randwick. I remember laying eyes on two easts riders but i think they were behind. It was a pretty big RB bunch, 20-30 strong & your probably right about thinking they weren't A graders because i didn't see any. But then most of Randwicks A graders ride for FRF- NSW institute of sport continental team now & do the team training so they won't ever be out riding waterfall much again, not in that bunch anyway.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 20 May 2007, 18:52

Oh, I didn't really mean A-graders, but rather the bunch with their experienced riders.

Anyway, there's a lot of food for thoughts after today.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 20 May 2007, 21:24

From what I understand, the accident happened almost directly behind me and James M and neither of us were aware as we continued to Heathcoat.

I can confirm that there was a wide variety of performance in that bunch, as it just split up into smaller groups, James M, myself and another DHBC rider leapfrogged up the little bunches until everyone was caught by a traffic light and it all bunched together. At the sprint point there was some quite aggressive jostling for position, more a kind to another club.

Anyway the behaviour indictated a mixture of skills, as to does our club have, but I'm not so sure that we can contribute the accident to their and our skills, or the size of the bunch, as at that place, there is little opportunity to move into the road lane to avoid whatever is on the shoulder. I don't recall seeing broken pieces of road surface, but I do recall riding thru broken glass as there was no opportunity to move off the shoulder and onto the left lane.

James "T bone" take it easy mate. Let us know how your progressing.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 20 May 2007, 22:02

When Michael K and I, both of whom had been dropped at Loftus, were coming over the last hill towards Waterfall, we say you guys climbing the first hill back from water fall.

There seemed to be a group of 5 or 6 about 50 metres ahead of the combined bunch you guys were in, and they were going much slower. I could see your bunch catching them quite easily which I thought was odd.

I would have thought your bunch would have taken them before or at the crest of the first hill. I have no recollection of what they were wearing, but it didn't seem that they were part of RBCC.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 20 May 2007, 23:03

I didn't know that James F had been unconscious, I just found that out.

There were a couple of RBCC riders who took the shortcut, so it was either them or a small bunch of other riders who were also out there.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 21 May 2007, 00:36

I didn't know that James F had been unconscious, I just found that out.
He was and was in a semi fit. It was his helmet that saved the day.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 21 May 2007, 00:53

I would have thought your bunch would have taken them before or at the crest of the first hill. I have no recollection of what they were wearing, but it didn't seem that they were part of RBCC.
I think that matches with my recollection. The initial disorganization climbing that first small hill was further disrupted when the bunch overtook that slower bunch in front. And then the road hazard was a little down from the crest of the hill which generated more dispersals.

lindsay

Postby lindsay » 21 May 2007, 09:15

Here's a photo from Stretch of James -

I'll make sure I send a copy to our friend no-helmet Joe...

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 21 May 2007, 09:21

Ouch!

Is James still in Hospital ?

Stretch

Postby Stretch » 21 May 2007, 10:03

James will not be discharged from hospital today (Monday).
Last edited by Stretch on 21 May 2007, 13:26, edited 1 time in total.

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 21 May 2007, 10:20

I remember passing a smaller group of riders just before the accident and I don’t know if they were part of RBCC, but its hard to tell. Either way, the RBCC bunch was massive and there were definitely a mix of skills amongst them. I think a lot of them were dropping off on the sprint which added to the confusion as our stronger riders had to move past them and at some points the bunch had widened to 4 a breast. However I don’t think this had any effect on the accident.

It terms of the accident I was right behind James when it happened, although I was a few lengths back and was fortunate to miss running over James by a couple of inches. I remember there being a lot of large rocks on the road but I didn’t see any glass. There was a succession of flats with Weiyun and then other RBCC rider. I didn’t see who had the second flat and was no expecting a collision. However when I spoke to the RBCC rider later he said that he was pulling over to the right (onto the road side) when James collided with him. It was a solid impact and I saw his wheel was totally buckled. I was quite supprised that the RBCC rider pulled to the right because I would avoid turning onto the road if I had a puncture. From memory Weiyun was also on the right side of the bunch when his puncture occurred however he managed to get over to the left. Anyway, theres no point in speculating on rights and wrongs but this event certainly makes for a timely review of how we organise our bunch rides.

If any positives can be made from this I was really impressed buy how everyone dealt with the accident. Weyuin was great in talking to James while he was in shock and Geoff got everyone to throw their jerseys over James and then laid down next to him to keep him warm.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 21 May 2007, 11:36

I'm not sure if its the rider that James hit, but a guy got a flat and had no choice but to pull out onto the road, there was no opportunity for him to move left as he was in the right hand lane of bikes, with no gaps to his left.

Now I'm guessing that James may of been moving along the outside of the 2 lanes of riders moving himself forward ????

In hindsight, the rider with the flat should of called out "Flat" or "Stopping" however you don't always think of everything when you are in that situation.

Stretch

Postby Stretch » 21 May 2007, 12:18

Latest news is that James will be in hospital for another night (until Tuesday)
St George 3-East Room 5
phone 93501559

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 21 May 2007, 17:29

I think it's a good idea for James to stay a little longer. I'd think the attending surgeon would want to make sure his Lt orbital haematoma settles and make sure there's no additional complications relating to it, and being able to do a proper examination of his eye. I guess I could have made better control of that developing haematoma at the scene if it weren't for other concerns.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 22 May 2007, 13:36

Any news, is James out ?

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 22 May 2007, 14:23

I'm Out!!!!

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 22 May 2007, 14:35

Cool

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 22 May 2007, 14:36

That photo didn't really capture the injury from the best angle. The swelling has decreased and i can open my eye now, i'll see if i can get another picture for you later. Anyway, i didn't really have any pain surprisingly, so i'd say i've been pretty lucky.

My recollection of the accident - I was on the lefthand side of the bunch, with Simon on the right of me. Going down the hill i noticed some of the rocks, but in a bunch that size it's hard to see, and hard to get the message through to the back at high speed. Anyway, i remember moving around a slower (or punctured rider) on the left, and then the was another rider in front of me who slowed suddenly, and i had no where to go with Simon to the right and no room on the left. I wasn't riding very close behind the riders in front, but even with the double puncture i'm told the rider had, he had ovbviously grabbed the brakes, as he was slowing way too fast. Most likely lack of experience on his part, as it's always best to keep rolling with a puncture until people can see you and have gone past, especially if you can't pull out of the bunch. Apart from that i'd say the main issue was the road surface, with the bunch size meaning the message couldn't be passed on in time, but at the speeds you hit there, it's always risky.

I've been told that i shouldn't ride, drive, or drink for 1month, so it looks like i'll be stuck on the trainer for a while :cry:

Anyway, thanks for the well wishes. Especially Weiyun for looking after me straight after the crash (don't remember that bit though). Lindsay for travelling in the Ambulance with me and passing on the news. Simon for his multiple visits, and keeping me company for a while before his dreaded night shift, plus the great reading material (Pantani book is a good read). Fred for dropping in on the way home from work to see how i was going. And, my parents for taking time off work to look after me and taking me supplies, and everything else they do. Everyone else for the support.

Hopefully i'll be back soon, and possibly with a bit of form, from some secret indoor training.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 22 May 2007, 14:38

Last bit of advice. This is not a reccomended method to use in order to get an extension on an assignment.

mcrkennedy

Postby mcrkennedy » 22 May 2007, 14:46

James

It great to hear from you that you are OK.

I was thinking about your assigment after our conversation early on Sunday. Glad to see you got an extension, however it would be easier to just ask your lecturer next time.

Michael

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 22 May 2007, 15:01

Don't have the extension yet, have to put a Special considerations form in with the assignment, but i'm pretty sure they won't refuse.

My other issue was missing out on 2 stages of the Cyclingnews Fantasy Giro, so i missed out on 340points, however i believe i may still have a chance, as last year i came 10th and that was without picking the 2nd placed GC rider for GC even though i had him in my team (300points lost there).

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 22 May 2007, 15:11

My other issue was missing out on 2 stages of the Cyclingnews Fantasy Giro
James, that's funny. You must be feeling a lot better if thats on your mind.

Now you have a perfect opportunity to pick up the girl you have had your eye on. Things like this bring out the mother in them. Phone her up, tell her of your accident and ask her to come over to help you with the submission of your extension.

lindsay

Postby lindsay » 22 May 2007, 15:34

James,

Welcome back to Marrickville... Another one to add to your list of amazing stacks eh. Take it easy and we'll miss you not being in our bunch for the next month. Good luck with the assignment.

Damian

Postby Damian » 22 May 2007, 16:15

Glad to hear you're ok James! Hope the healing is quick.

lindsay

Postby lindsay » 22 May 2007, 20:10

From George
Sorry to hear about what happened but as the typical bike riders that we all are as long as your bike isn,t scathed no probs..
Unlike myself get hit from behind not a scratch on me but mangled wheel just bad luck I say..
Hope i've given you a bit of a cheereeo so you get well and don't worry what the docs say make it 2 weeks off not a month that,s another bad habit bike riders have..
To James take care

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 22 May 2007, 20:22

I'll spend my time off shopping for a new helmet. First i need to contact the Australian MET distributer and see if the Stradivarius 199 is available yet.

Might make it 3 weeks, but we'll see how it all goes, need my face to heal first. Though i've made the decision that i won't be doing Ken Dinnerville or Wagga this year. My racing return will be Gunnedah, and hopefully my indoor training will do something useful.

JM

Postby JM » 22 May 2007, 21:30

james good to read that you are ok and will be back ... that's 2 out of 3 james' down and out of the KD ... take care

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 22 May 2007, 21:43

james good to read that you are ok and will be back ... that's 2 out of 3 james' down and out of the KD ... take care
Careful James, you will jinx yourself. Bad luck comes in 3's

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 22 May 2007, 21:44

They say bad luck always comes in threes...Take care...

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 22 May 2007, 21:44

They say bad luck always comes in threes...Take care...
Bet ya

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 22 May 2007, 21:46

you've gotta be faster at something...

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 22 May 2007, 21:57

you've gotta be faster at something...
With that new toy you have, now I won't have a chance on the road.

James F, with all this spare time on your hands, are you going to do some more tinkering?

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 23 May 2007, 09:51

James, good to hear that you are out. Take it easy! :wink:

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 24 May 2007, 18:25

Another update. My teeth have been rebuilt by the dentist, just like the one i broke when i was younger. So i'm looking better all the time, and the skin is healing fairly quickly.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 24 May 2007, 20:22

SMILE! :D

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 24 May 2007, 21:11

How did you go with the deferring?

imaxwell

Postby imaxwell » 25 May 2007, 22:52

Get well soon James. That's some shiner you've got!

The ride back from Waterfall, in huge bunches, is sheer madness in my opinion. I was thinking that for a long time, until I was finally involved in a nasty spill early last year (although I got off lightly in comparison to James).

I'm glad to be now riding round the Hills of Adelaide.

FAswad

Postby FAswad » 27 May 2007, 12:17

Hey all

I have just been informed that there has been an accident at the sprint section in Sutherland this morning. The person who crashed is Eddy, one of the riders I brought a while back on one of our Sunday ride.

What I have been able to collect from a brief conversation with his brother, George, was that:

Eddy crashed at the sprint section
He was taken by an ambulance to hospital
Helmet is broken
Possible colarbone fracture
Some skin is off

I also know that Eddy and George joined SSCC on a ride to Wollongong and back. HOwever, I am not yet aware of the rest of the details, as in whether he was riding that section alone, with the club or with other clubs.... etc.

I will post again once I know more about the circumstances of the crash!

Thought I'd let you know as it is relevant to some of our recent discussions.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 31 May 2007, 15:15

He rode a tri-bike in a road bunch didn't he?

paddy

Postby paddy » 15 Jun 2008, 07:56

Here's a photo from Stretch of James -

I'll make sure I send a copy to our friend no-helmet Joe...
ouch!
G'day James
Guess you are glad that that's passed...
Glad it seems you're recovering well.

Hi to Stretch too...Jo and I are still in London... gonna get married and head back in September... see you at Heffron?

One less crash to have before you die...

Return to “News and Announcements”